With the New Year in our midst, many of you (myself included) are probably eager to work off those few extra holiday pounds you’ve packed on over break. Fret not, this simple sushi recipe is sure to kick off your year in the right and healthy direction. We even put it in a mason jar to make this dish portable, just in case your new classes don’t allow for a lunch break or you’ve already run out of Dine-in Dollars.

Recipe adapted from Krista and Jess

Medium

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes

Servings: 1

3/4 cup cooked short grain brown rice
1 tablespoon seasoned sushi vinegar
4 sheets of seasoned seaweed
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup cucumber matchsticks
1/2 avocado (diced)
Lime juice
Pickled ginger
Wasabi

IMG_8201 cooler

Photo by Gabby Phi

Directions: 
1. Pour sushi vinegar over the rice while it is still warm and mix until the vinegar is dispersed evenly. Let the rice cool to room temperature.

IMG_8211 edited

Photo by Gabby Phi

2. Use a sharp knife to cut the seaweed into small strips. You can use a full sheet of nori, or a personal sized package of seasoned seaweed, if you have  it on hand.

3. Cut up the carrots and cucumbers into small matchsticks, measuring out 1/4 cup of each.

Photo by Gabby Phi

4. Dice the avocado and toss lightly with lime juice to prevent browning.

IMG_8232 edited

Photo by Gabby Phi

5. Add one layer at a time, using a spoon to even out and pat down each layer. You can layer your jar with seaweed on the top and bottom with rice in between each vegetable layer, or however you like.

IMG_8261 crop

Photo by Gabby Phi

6. Top the jar off with wasabi and ginger to taste.

Craving some meat?  Add a layer of imitation crab to make a deconstructed California roll.