The best snickerdoodle I ever had was made by one of my childhood friend’s mom. She is a culinary goddess and would whip up a spread that would make Martha Stewart jealous. Even if I was just going over for the day, we’d have appetizers, snacks and a meal that was straight off the pages of a Food & Wine magazine. It is no wonder that I was a chubby child.

Back to the cookie: It was the perfect amalgamation of soft and crunchy, sweet and punchy and all other cookie clichés you could possibly think of. It was her speciality, and it was because of her that I got hooked onto the cinnamon-sugar coated cookie. It’s hard to imagine that any cookie literally coated in cinnamon sugar could get better, but I’m here to prove you wrong. World, meet the pumpkin snickerdoodle. You’re welcome.

Recipe from Sweet Pea’s Kitchen.

Easy

Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time:
12 minutes
Total Time: 
24 minutes

Serving Size: 48 Cookies

pumpkin snickerdoodles

Photo by Vinita Saggurti

2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 ½ cup sugar
2 sticks butter, softened
1 large egg
¾ cups pumpkin purée

Topping:
2 tablespoons cinnamon
¼ cup sugar

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Set aside two baking sheets lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. Mix together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl.
3. With an electric hand mixer, blend the sugar and softened butter together until fluffy.

pumpkin snickerdoodles

Photo by Vinita Saggurti

4. Add egg and beat for about 30 seconds.
5. Add pumpkin purée until combined.
6. Add the dry ingredients at a low speed until all ingredients are mixed together.

pumpkin snickerdoodles

Photo by Vinita Saggurti

7. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
8. Roll heaping  tablespoons of dough into a ball and cover in cinnamon sugar.

pumpkin snickerdoodles

Photo by Vinita Saggurti

9. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until puffy and golden.

pumpkin snickerdoodles

Photo by Vinita Saggurti