Fall is the season of pumpkin mania. As the leaves change color, we are bombarded with pumpkin spice lattes and the classic Thanksgiving dessert, pumpkin pie. This craze can be quite inconvenient for someone like me who ranks pumpkin quite low on their list of favorite flavors. I wanted to contribute to the fall dessert and wondered, How can I put my own spin on the basic pumpkin? I decided to put an apple-cinnamon twist on it.
These cupcake pumpkins require little previous experience with fondant and are also an excuse to basically play with sugary dough. The cinnamon cream cheese frosting is a perfect complement to the cupcake, and with their eye catching design these cupcakes will leave the pumpkin pie at the dessert table far behind.
Cinnamon Apple Cupcake Pumpkins
- Prep Time:45 mins
- Cook Time:20 mins
- Total Time:1 hr 5 mins
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter at room temperature divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract divided
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 cups shredded Gala apples
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 24 oz box fondant
- green and orange food coloring
#SpoonTip: If you run out of time or fondant, frost the cupcakes and add the leaves on top for a equally tasty dessert. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker.