Every time fall comes around, Panera answers our wishes with their butternut squash soup – too bad it’s only seasonal, right? Wrong. Here’s a secret that Panera doesn’t want you to know: it’s easy to duplicate, and you can easily make it year-round. You can even make it dairy-free, catering to your vegan and lactose intolerant friends.

Pair this copycat Panera butternut squash soup recipe with some sourdough bread and add some cinnamon, and it’s as if Panera delivered it right to your doorstep. There's even some curry powder in the soup, so your taste buds will definitely thank you after this spiced meal.

Panera Butternut Squash Soup

• 1 butternut squash
  • Cinnamon to taste
  • Garlic powder to taste
  • 1/2 yellow onion
  • 2 Fuji apples
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 cup almond milk
soup
Hannah Bibbo

Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Cut the butternut squash in half and season it with cinnamon and garlic powder. Place it face up on a non-stick or greased pan and roast it for 30 minutes

cheese
    Hannah Bibbo

While the butternut squash is roasting, dice the onion and apples, and saute them over medium-high heat in the coconut oil. Add the curry powder and sauté until softened.

rice, vegetable
    Hannah Bibbo

Remove the squash from the oven and add it to the onions and apples, along with the vegetable broth and almond milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.

Pour the mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until the soup is smooth and creamy.

soup
    Hannah Bibbo

Add more cinnamon to this copycat Panera butternut squash soup recipe and garnish it with the butternut squash seeds for texture. Personally, I like it with sourdough, but it also pairs well with a grilled cheese. You can even add pumpkin if you want to add a little more flavor, or use apple juice instead of apples if you’re in a time crunch.

And, much like a potato, butternut squashes can also be baked in a microwave, so if you’re not feeling up for the oven, just throw it in the microwave for 10 minutes.