I’ve never been a huge fan of lemon. Actually, I’ve never been a huge fan of citrus in general (gasp, I know). However, this lemon loaf is so delicious. It has just the right balance of tartness from the lemon and sweetness from the sugar and the glaze to make a perfect lemon loaf.

This is a copycat of the lemon loaf found in Starbucks. The only big difference is the glaze is much thinner, but you can make it thicker if you’d like by adding less lemon juice and waiting longer than I did to pour it on. I was a bit impatient, it just looked so good.

Also, I highly suggest placing a paper towel under your loaf before pouring the glaze on. You’ll thank me later.

Lemon Loaf

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:50 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour 30 minutes
  • Servings:one 9x5-in. loaf, about 12 servings

• 3 eggs
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup buttermilk (or Greek yogurt or sour cream)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon extract (NOT teaspoons)
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 3 tablespoon lemon juice
Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and buttermilk.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Drizzle in the vegetable oil and whisk well.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Add the lemon extract and mix to combine. Add more or less than the suggested amount depending on how strong you would like the lemon flavor to be (I found that 1½ Tablespoons is a good strength).

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix just until combined; do not overmix.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I suggest tenting the pan with aluminum foil after about 25 minutes, or until it’s as brown as you’d like it to get to prevent further browning.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Remove from the oven and let cool for about 30 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely before glazing.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners sugar and enough lemon juice to make a pourable glaze.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Evenly drizzle the glaze over the cooled lemon loaf and allow to set, about 10 minutes. Once cooled, cut into slices and serve.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley