As a Michigan native, Chick-fil-A chicken is almost a legend to me: a mythical fast food experience that occasionally reaches our TVs in the form of those clever cows with their pleas to “Eat More Chikin.” It’s almost like those cows have been mocking me for my whole life, knowing full well that I will have very few chances to try this legendary chicken sandwich.

If Chick-fil-A has been taunting you for most of your life, this copycat recipe can tide you over between the few random encounters you get with the magical fast food spot. Don’t be alarmed by the pickle juice — this is just used to tenderize the chicken to simulate the tender, juicy chicken breast from that fine southern establishment. Once you rinse and fry the chicken, the pickle-y taste is barely noticeable.

Medium

Prep Time: 4 hours and 15 minutes (including marinating)
Cook Time: 7 minutes

Total Time: 4 hours and 22 minutes

Servings: Makes about 30 chicken nuggets

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Frying oil (peanut recommended)
1 cup dill pickle juice
¼ cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon basil
½ teaspoon garlic salt (optional)
½ teaspoon onion salt (optional)
½ teaspoon celery salt (optional)

Photo by Parisa Soraya

Directions:

1. Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Place in a Ziploc bag and add the pickle juice. Seal bag and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
2. In a large Ziploc bag or bowl, combine the flour and seasonings. Seal and mix well.
3. In another bowl, whisk the eggs and milk well.
4. Heat about 2-3 inches of oil in a pan over medium-high heat, until oil reaches about 350° F.

Photo by Parisa Soraya

5. Drain and rinse the chicken from the pickle juice.
6. Coat the chicken first in the egg mixture, then place in the flour mixture, making sure that the chicken is completely coated in the flour.

Photo by Parisa Soraya

7. Remove from the flour and gently place in the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes

Photo by Parisa Soraya

8. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel-lined plate. Allow to drain about 1 minute.

Photo by Parisa Soraya

9. Serve with ranch, BBQ sauce, etc. Enjoy!

Photo by Parisa Soraya