Delight your friends (or terrify them) with extremely accurate customized fortunes!

This recipe is deceptively tricky – you must follow the instructions closely. Mix in ingredients one at a time and thoroughly, or the batter won’t have the right texture. Spread the batter very thin, or you’ll have a hard time folding the cookies into the signature shape. Fold them as soon as they come out of the oven, or it will be completely impossible.

If you’re a rule-breaker, this recipe’s probably not for you. But if you respect the cookie, the cookie will respect you…or something like that.

Fortune Cookies

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:30 minutes
  • Total Time:45 minutes
  • Advanced Course

• 3 Egg whites
  • 3/4 cup White sugar
  • 1/2 cup Butter, melted and cooled
  • 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla extract
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 tablespoon Water
Photo by Caitlyn Heter

Write out your fortunes on strips of paper and have cookie sheets lined with parchment paper ready to go. Preheat the oven to 375°F.

In a large bowl, whip egg whites and sugar on high speed until frothy (about 2 minutes).

GIF by Caitlyn Heter

Reduce mixer speed to low. Add melted butter and mix well.

GIF by Caitlyn Heter

Stirring well after each ingredient, add vanilla, then water, then flour. You should end up with a mixture that looks like pancake batter.

GIF by Caitlyn Heter

Add small spoonfuls of batter onto each cookie sheet, and spread the batter into circles about 4 inches across and very thin. The thinner you make them, the faster they will bake and the easier they will be to fold. I recommend just 2 cookies per sheet – even if there’s room for more. Bake for 5-7 mins, or until the edges are golden.

GIF by Caitlyn Heter

Immediately after removing the cookies from the oven, carefully fold them: put in your prepared fortune, then fold the cookie in half. Quickly and carefully fold again, to achieve the desired shape.

GIF by Caitlyn Heter

Your cookies will probably resist holding their shape after the second fold – leave them in a muffin tin to cool, so they’ll keep their shape and harden.

GIF by Caitlyn Heter

Break ’em open and enjoy.

GIF by Caitlyn Heter