Winter has already hit, and some of us have already been attacked by the dreaded seasonal cold.

If plenty of sleep, chicken noodle soup, and Netflix-induced hysteria haven’t been making you feel any better, try these fool-proof recipes out. You might be wondering why these beverages are vegan. Well, it turns out that dairy is a major aggravator of mucus, so it’s best to stay away for a while if your throat is phlegmy. Keep in mind that you can personalize any of these recipes and even use cow’s milk if you desire.

The ancient beverage called Golden Milk (also know as turmeric tea) has over 150 therapeutic properties. It’s anti-inflammatory, making it great for digesting a big winter feast, and more importantly; it calms any sick stomach. The star of the show is turmeric, a heroic spice that has been deemed a great way to combat the flu, a cold and even depression. You can create this drink to fight all those nasty cold symptoms; headaches, sore throat, or a stuffy nose. Just don’t forget to make extra because it’s so tasty you’ll want seconds.

Golden Milk

• Prep Time:1 min

• 1 cup non-dairy milk I used Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup if vegan to sweeten optional
  • dash black pepper vanilla or coconut oil which helps with turmeric absorption
sweet, herb, tea, juice
oshakey on unsplash

Set a saucepan on low heat. Add the milk and all of the ingredients, stirring with a whisk to combine.

cream, dairy product
    Jedd Marrero

Let the mixture warm, until steam begins to come off of it or it begins to bubble slightly (but before it boils). This should take less than 5 minutes.

If using coconut oil, stir this in afterwards. Pour into a cute mug and enjoy. One of the great things about golden milk is that it’s highly customizable, mess around with the ingredients until you get a taste you love (I like to add cinnamon).

Next up is a tea you're probably more familiar with. Whether you start your day with a little green tea flare or end it, you’ll be happy knowing you’re doing great things for your body. You can even use it to treat acne or fight against signs of aging

Most importantly, green tea helps build up your immunity and fend off future diseases; making it great for the harsh winter months. But if you’re getting sick (you should expect puns from me by now) of a typical cup of green tea, try this version out. It really gets you in that snuggly mood, but without the discomfort of cold symptoms.

Green Tea Latte

• Prep Time:1 min

• 1 tsp green tea/matcha powder
  • 1 cup non-dairy milk
soup, cream, tea, vegetable
kawaiikiri on Flickr

Heat up the milk in a saucepan, bringing it to a boil.

Add in the matcha powder and stir until combined.

cream, batter
    Natalie Pressman

If you have a milk frother, whip that out to make this drink extra special. Pour into a cozy mug and enjoy.

Feel free to add your own spin on both of these drinks and sip away that nasty cold.