Celebrate Cinco de Mayo this year with piñata cookies (along with your sombreros and excessive amounts of tequila)! These cookies are super easy to make and can be filled with mini candies for a fun surprise. To make these cookies, you’re going to layer three on top of each other, using frosting to “glue” them together. The middle cookie will be hollow, so that you can fit some small candies like mini M&Ms inside and make them into piñatas. The one problem is that you can’t fill them with tequila, but you can definitely sip a margarita while you make these treats.
Prep Time: 40 minutes (including 30 min chill time)
Bake Time: 7 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
1 bag sugar cookie mix
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Red and green food coloring
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
- Beat the butter and egg together until well incorporated.
- Add the sugar cookie mix and the tablespoon of flour and mix until combined.
- Divide the dough into three equal portions.
- Mix one portion of dough with two drops of red food coloring and another portion of dough with two drops of green food coloring.
- Wrap each portion of dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Roll out the green dough until it’s about 1/4 inch thick and using a round cookie cutter (or any cookie cutter shape of your choice) cut out cookie shapes. Repeat until there is no green dough left.
- Arrange the cookie on a cookie sheet and bake for 7 minutes.
- While the green cookies are baking, roll out the red cookie dough and using the same round cookie cutter cut out cookie shapes.
- Bake the red cookies for 7 minutes.
- Repeat with the white cookie dough, however with the white cookie dough use a smaller round cookie cutter, cut out the center of the cookie. They should look like doughnuts, but with bigger holes. Repeat until there is no white dough left.
- Bake the rings for 7 minutes.
- While the cookies are cooling, mix together powdered sugar and the milk to make a frosting. Place into a plastic bag and set aside.
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, snip a corner off the plastic bag and pipe a small outline on one side of the green cookies.
- Place the white ring cookies right on top of the frosting on the green cookies.
- Fill the hollow with mini M&Ms.
- Pipe frosting on top of the white ring cookies.
- Top with the red cookies.