The rising popularity of  foods like sea salt-infused dark chocolate, bacon and chocolate chip cookies cookies and pretzel and peanut butter truffles demonstrates that pairing salty and sweet makes for a winning combination. For a late-night nibble or a midday study break, this chocolate-drizzled popcorn is a quick and easy way to create your own variation on the sweet and salty trend. If you’re craving dessert but can’t justify spending $8 on a bar of chocolate you’re going to forget by tomorrow morning, try this recipe that dresses up a classic dorm snack with melted chocolate. It takes less than 5 minutes to make in the microwave and the leftovers (though it’s unlikely you’ll have any) will stay fresh stashed away in your desk drawer .

Easy

Cook Time: 4 minutes

Servings: 1-2

1 bag microwave popcorn
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Tip: Any bag of popcorn will do, but a less-buttery flavor won’t overwhelm the richness of the chocolate.

1. Microwave the popcorn for about 3 minutes or until pops are a few seconds apart.

Chocolate-Drizzled Popcorn

Photo by Kirby Barth

2. Place chocolate chips in a microwavable bowl or mug and microwave for about 45 seconds, or until the chocolate has just started to melt and stir. If you need more time, cook in 5 second increments until the chocolate has reached a smooth consistency.

Chocolate-Drizzled Popcorn

Photo by Kirby Barth

3. Pour popcorn into a bowl and drizzle the melted chocolate evenly over the top. Garrett won’t even know what hit it.

Chocolate-Drizzled Popcorn

Photo by Kirby Barth