With the sun finally peeking through the dreary clouds, it’s beginning to feel like spring in Evanston. This means shorts, afternoons at the lakefill, and best of all, darties. Invite some friends over for a Saturday afternoon and show them how to be a true host with a pitcher of homemade sangria.
Prep Time: 5 minutes, then chill overnight
Total Time: Five minutes and a night
1 bottle red wine
4 cups ginger ale
½ cup green apple, diced
2 tablespoons sugar
Splash of orange juice or lemonade
2 shots gin or triple sec (optional)
1 cup raspberries or strawberries (thawed, frozen or fresh)
1 small can diced pineapples (with juice) or 1 cup fresh diced pineapple
1. Pour bottle of wine into a large pitcher.
2. slice lemon, orange and lime into wedges.
3. Squeeze lime, lemon and orange wedges into wine. Then, discard them into pitcher.
4. Add apples, pineapples, sugar, liquor and orange juice or lemonade.
5. Stir together and chill overnight.
6. Add ginger ale, berries and ice just before serving.