After a month of bland meals from the dining hall on Drake’s campus, I couldn’t wait to come home and make these for my family. I had the idea to make these quesadillas one day after shopping at Walmart with my mom. The cashier in our check-out lane noticed we were buying Jose Cuervo Original Margarita Mix and commented that the best chicken she’s ever had was cooked in the mix we were buying.

After I decided to try it, I realized that it’s something special I can make for my family when I come home on breaks. It’s something that everyone enjoys, including my dad, who actually hates chicken.

Jose Cuervo Margarita Chicken Quesadilla

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:1 hour
  • Total Time:1 hour 20 minutes

• 4 chicken breasts
  • About 2 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
  • About 2 cup Jose Cuervo Margarita Mix
  • 2-3 tablespoon cilantro
  • 1 small red onion
  • 4 strips of thick, hickory-smoked bacon
  • 4 medium-sized flour tortillas
  • Olive oil cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Pour margarita mix into a medium-sized pot and bring it to a boil.

Photo by Beth LeValley

Slice chicken into small cubes, then add to the pot.

Photo by Cassandra Bauer

Cut the bacon strips into small chunks, then mince the cilantro and red onion. Add all these ingredients to a separate skillet, begin to cook at medium heat.

Photo by Cassandra Bauer

Take out a cookie sheet. Spray one side of each tortilla with olive oil spray, then lay as many as you can flat on the cookie sheet, oiled side facing down. Spread shredded cheese across the center of the tortilla.

Photo by Cassandra Bauer

Continue to mix and turn the ingredients regularly as they cook. Scrape the bottom of the skillet of bacon, cilantro, and onion with your spatula to keep from burning. Continue to cook them in the skillet until the bacon browns or becomes crispy.

Photo by Beth LeValley

Check the chicken to make sure it is cooked; it will turn opaque when it’s done. Slice pieces to make sure they are not pink on the inside.

Photo by Beth LeValley

Take the pot off the heat and add the chicken to the skillet with the bacon, onion, and cilantro, and continue to cook them together for 2 or 3 minutes.

Photo by Beth LeValley

Add 1 to 2 large spoonfuls of the chicken, bacon, onion, and cilantro to each cheese-lined, oil-coated tortilla. Fold each in half and lay them facing the same direction on the cookie sheet.

Photo by Beth LeValley

Bake quesadillas in the oven for 5-6 minutes per side, flipping once they become crispy and golden on each side.

Photo by Beth LeValley

Remove from the oven once each side is crispy and golden. Serve with sour cream and salsa.

Photo by Beth LeValley