You know those big, soft oatmeal chocolate chip cookies from Potbelly’s that just melt in your mouth? They’re some of the best cookies in the world.  This is our version of them.  Just as chewy, just as rich, but made with more love.  Good luck not eating the whole batch in one sitting…

Level: Easy

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 22 minutes

Servings: 12 big cookies, about 20 smaller cookies

1 stick of butter, softened at room temp
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups oats
Semi-sweet chocolate chips to taste (about half a bag)

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF
2. In a large bowl, mix together the butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth.

*Never put the butter in the microwave! I know it’s tempting, since it’s a pain to wait until it gets soft in room temperature, but melting it in the microwave messes up the texture. You don’t want to end up with liquidy, flat cookies.

3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.

4. Stir the flour mixture into the wet (butter/sugar) ingredients until combined.  Don’t over-mix!

5. Stir in the oats and chocolate chips.

6. For best results (aka thick and chewy cookies) chill the dough in the fridge for as long as you can. The colder the dough, the chewier the cookies.  If you’re impatient, go ahead and bake them, they’ll still taste great.

7. On a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet, place balls of dough about two inches apart.

*No parchment paper? Spray the pan with Pam.

8. Bake cookies in oven for about 10-12 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are golden and the top a little undercooked-looking.  Let cool on the pan, then eat!!