If you’re the type of person who counts down to Thanksgiving as you dream of your grandma’s sweet potato casserole, this recipe is bound to turn your dreams into a reality. Instead of waiting for the holiday to enjoy your favorite fall dish, make a lighter version at home with seasonal butternut squash. (Bonus: this recipe is dorm-room friendly)

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

Servings: 5 (servings will vary based on the size of the squash)

1 butternut squash
Cinnamon to taste
Optional: a fistful of marshmallows

1. Peel the skin off of the butternut squash, and cut it in half lengthwise (consider this your “arms workout” for the day).

Butternut squash

Photo by Becky Hughes

2. Using a spoon, remove the seeds from the inside of the squash and place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 10 minutes. If you prefer a roasted flavor, feel free to roast the squash on a piece of tinfoil in a 400°F oven for about 40 minutes, but for those in a dorm, the microwave works just fine.
3. Allow the squash to cool and cut it into chunks.
4. Put the squash chunks into a food processor or high tech blender, and process until no chunks remain. If you don’t have a food processor or blender, the squash can be mashed by hand with a fork.

Butternut squash

Photo by Becky Hughes

5. Add cinnamon and mix well.
6. If adding marshmallows, arrange on top of the mashed squash and either microwave or place the mash back into the oven in an oven-safe dish until the marshmallows have melted.