It would be a lie to say that I have always liked Brussels sprouts.

I only summoned up the courage to try them a few months ago, convinced until then that they were the grossest of all the vegetables my parents force-fed me during my childhood. And then there was (and still is) the problem that trying new foods scared me.

Photo by Alia Wilhelm

But Brussels sprouts were everywhere. They were in my rice and at the salad bar, on my friends’ plates and in my mom’s home-cooked meals.

So I decided to try them. With my left hand clutching a glass of water, I poked one of the green little monsters with my fork, placed it in my mouth, and started to chew.

And then my eyes opened in awe. They were delicious.

And so began my obsession. Now, I eat those sprouts with almost anything. Sometimes I mix them into salads, pasta or rice. Other times I’ll devour a dozen of them as a bedtime snack. To me, there is no limit. Brussels sprouts go with everything. They are my favorite of all the vegetables.

So I started to make them on my own. My first recipe was very simple – just butter and garlic. I’m not a great cook (probably not even a good one), but they turned out even tastier than I expected.

Level: Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

Servings: 4 (as a side dish)

15 Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
1 ½ tablespoons butter
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, smashed with the flat of a knife
Salt and paper

Directions:
1. Melt the butter and olive oil in a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat.
2. When the butter starts to foam, reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic.
3. When garlic is lightly browned, remove as much garlic as possible and throw away.
4.  Add the sprouts to the skillet, with the flat side down

Photo by Alia Wilhelm

5. Cook them for 10 – 15 minutes on medium-low heat without stirring them.
      Tip: Pierce the Brussels sprouts with a knife or toothpick; you’ll know they’re ready if they’re tender.
6. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.

Photo by Alia Wilhelm