The beauty of a casserole is simple. You make it, then freeze it, then heat it up and eat it up when the time is right. But what if there is a breakfast casserole much better than your great aunt's tuna casserole? 

Answer: there is. 

This recipe for a breakfast sausage and egg casserole was introduced to me by my dad about two years ago and has since become a staple for my family's Saturday morning breakfast spreads. My dad would make it in the morning and if I was lucky there would still be some for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack the next day.

This recipe is great to make ahead and heat up for breakfast during the week or to impress your friends when you cook brunch together. The recipe is also customizable to your favorite flavors or dietary needs. If you're a vegetarian you can swap out sausage for tofu. Don't have any hash browns handy? You can use diced potatoes.

Try out this recipe next time you're in a breakfast slump and I promise it won't disappoint. 

Dad's Breakfast Casserole

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 30 mins

• 1 pound breakfast sausage
  • 3 cup frozen hashbrowns
  • 1/4 cup butter melted
  • 12 ounce shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 1 can diced green chiles
  • 1 16oz container cottage cheese
  • 8 jumbo eggs
  • 2 teaspoon ginger
  • 2 teaspoon sage
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • Pinch cayenne pepper
cheese, casserole, pizza, lasagna, spinach
Abby Smith

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish.

Place sausage in a large skillet. Cook over medium heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.

In the casserole dish, stir together the butter and hashbrowns. Line the bottom and sides of the casserole dish with this mixture. In a bowl, mix the sausage, cheddar cheese, onion, cottage cheese, eggs, and spices. Pour this over the potato mixture.

Bake 1 hour in preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the casserole comes out clean. Make sure to let it cool before enjoying!

apple
Abby Smith

Enjoy this dish with some fresh fruit and coffee! Make sure to share with others (or not, totally up to you).