You can’t go wrong with a blueberry muffin. Whether paired with a fresh cup of coffee in the morning for breakfast or accompanied by a tall glass of milk for dessert, muffins are the perfect treat for any time of day.

You especially can’t go wrong with a blueberry muffin complete with a sweet, cinnamon-spiced streusel topping. This recipe combines the classic flavor of blueberries with all the sugary goodness of a crumb cake. Oh, and about the breakfast thing — we all know that eating a doughnut is better than skipping breakfast, so one of these muffins is obviously an acceptable alternative.

They’re even better, actually, since this recipe uses my all-time favorite white whole wheat flour. If you’ve tried any of my recipes before, you know that I take advantage of it in anything from pumpkin spice waffles to personal chocolate chip cookies. You’re getting your fiber for the day and a serving of fruit from the blueberries, right? Let’s pretend here, at least.

Either way, you will totally not regret whipping up a batch (or several) of these muffins. Just don’t forget the most crucial part — you gotta make sure you inhale every last crumb of streusel. Once you try it, I don’t think you’ll need convincing.

Blueberry Muffins With Streusel Topping

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:20-25 minutes
  • Total Time:30-35 minutes
  • Servings:16 muffins

• For the muffins:
  • 3 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
  • For the streusel topping:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup plus 4 teaspoons white whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Photo by Meredith Ross

Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

Photo by Meredith Ross

In a measuring cup, combine vegetable oil, eggs, and milk.

Photo by Meredith Ross

Pour liquid mixture into bowl with dry ingredients and fold until just incorporated.

Photo by Meredith Ross

Gently fold in blueberries.

Photo by Meredith Ross

To make the streusel topping, combine sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl and mix with a fork until crumbly.

Photo by Meredith Ross

Scoop batter into muffin tins lined with paper liners (or greased with cooking spray) and sprinkle evenly with streusel topping.

Photo by Meredith Ross

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Carefully remove from muffin tins and enjoy.

Photo by Meredith Ross