I'm a mac and cheese die-hard. If you told my 9-year-old self that I'd one day have to give up gluten and dairy, I probably would have cried. Now that I've given up both, I've had to find new ways to enjoy my favorite foods that I can no longer have. This mac and cheese is easily the best vegan mac and cheese I've ever had and it's super easy to make it gluten-free, too. Whether you have allergies or have chosen the gluten-free and vegan lifestyle, this recipe is for you. Here is my fresh take on a comforting classic.

Gluten-Free Vegan Mac and Cheese

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 15 mins

• 12 ounces gluten-free macaroni pasta
  • 1 cup peeled and cubed sweet potato
  • 13.5 ounces canned coconut milk
  • 7 ounces cubed dairy-free cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • Salt and pepper
bread, sweet, dairy product, milk
Laura Lau

Begin by boiling 2 pots of water: one for the sweet potatoes and one for the pasta. Once water comes to a boil, add sweet potatoes and pasta to their respective pots.

pumpkin, cheese, sweet potato, potato, soup
    Laura Lau

Once pasta is done to your liking, drain and set aside. I like my pasta a little softer than al dente.

cereal, cheese, spaghetti, carbohydrate, wheat, pasta, macaroni
    Laura Lau

Once the sweet potatoes are very tender, drain and mash them. You may put them in a blender if you'd like, but they should be soft enough to mash smoothly.

potato, sweet, chicken, sweet potato
    Laura Lau

In a sauce pan over medium-low heat, add all of the cheese, half of the canned coconut milk, and half of the mashed sweet potatoes. Stir frequently. Once all of the cheese has melted, add the remaining coconut milk, mashed sweet potato, and add the vegetable broth.

batter, cream, flour, bread, egg, dairy product
    Laura Lau

Add the cooked macaroni to the sauce and stir to coat the pasta. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy.

sauce, tortellini, pasta, cheese, macaroni
    Laura Lau

Whether you're giving the gluten-free and vegan lifestyle a try for health purposes or for fun, I hope this recipe for the best vegan mac and cheese will take you back to the good days.

#SpoonTip: If you're looking for more great gluten-free and vegan mac and cheese, check out this recipe for mac and cheese in under 30 minutes, this one that uses 100% plant-based ingredients, and this garlic mac and cheese.