To all you I-can’t-function-without-my-morning-coffee folks out there, I have some heartbreaking news…

Coffee makes you bloat.

Coffee

As a coffee lover (read: addict) myself, finding out this news was definitely accompanied by a double fist shake to the air. While every ad, Facebook post or Instagram seems to remind me that it’s bathing suit season, I realize that the uncomfortable feeling of being bloated is something I want to avoid…even at the expense of my daily cup of joe.

After trying a variety of teas and shakes, I found that no concoction could replace the rich taste of java until this recipe made its way into my life. Not only is this coffee replacement kind to the belly, but it also packs a bunch of nutrients that will keep you energized and in good spirits. And dare I say…it actually tastes better than coffee.

Coffee

Photo by Maris Altieri

Disclaimer: Bloated or not, vacation is a time where you should be having fun and enjoying yourself. Worrying about your body and how you look should not be a pressing issue. Check out this video about body confidence here.

Beat the Bloat Coffee Replacement

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:1 minute
  • Total Time:6 minutes
  • Servings:1 large mug

• 2 cup strong teeccino or yerba mate tea
  • 1 tablespoon cacao powder
  • 1 handful raw nuts of choice
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 scoop plant-based protein powder
Photo by Maris Altieri
Photo by Maris Altieri

Step 1

Using a coffee maker, brew 2 cups of teeccino or yerba mate tea (one tablespoon per cup).

Step 2

While the tea is brewing, add the protein powder, cacao powder, nuts and vanilla extract to your blender.

Step 3

Once the tea is hot and ready, add to your blender. Blend for 30 seconds or until mixed.

Step 4

Pour yourself a mug of energizing bloat-free deliciousness.