Vegetables aren't a fan favorite. They're usually eaten as a bland, tasteless side dish just so you can say you ate your recommended daily serving of vegetables. Brussels sprouts in particular have a bad reputation for not being very flavorful, but with a little seasoning and the right combination of ingredients, this often overlooked but nutrient-packed veggie can become the star of any meal. This balsamic Brussels sprouts recipe does just that. 

The key to cooking the proper Brussels sprout is all about the texture. One of the most delicious ways to eat them is by roasting and steaming the Brussels sprouts on high heat with some oil. The oil fries the outside leaves, producing a crispy outer layer. By steaming the sprouts, the insides will achieve become soft without being soggy.

Adding cranberries, balsamic vinegar, and Parmesan cheese only enhances the incredible texture of these little veggies. The cranberries give the sprouts some sweetness, which is balanced by the strong balsamic vinegar and the savory Parmesan cheese. Together, these ingredients create a marriage of flavors that will leave you diving in for another bite.

The next time you pass by the green veggies in the grocery store, grab a bunch and make this delicious balsamic Brussels sprouts recipe. It's sure to leave you craving more vegetables.

Parmesan, Cranberry, & Balsamic Roasted Brussel Sprouts

• 1 bunch Brussels sprouts
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • Dash salt
  • Dash pepper
  • Balsamic Vinegar - however much you desire
  • 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup dried cranberries
balsamic, cheese
Lydia Eisenbeis

Wash the Brussels sprouts. Cut and discard the bottoms of each sprout.

salad, broccoli, pasture, sprouts, brussels sprout, cabbage, vegetable
    Lydia Eisenbeis

Halve the Brussels sprouts (you may choose to cut them into thirds if you want smaller pieces)

sprouts, brussels sprout, pasture, cauliflower, broccoli, salad, vegetable, cabbage
    Lydia Eisenbeis

Add olive oil to a pan over high heat. Once the oil is glistening and hot, add the Brussels sprouts cut side-down.

Cover the sprouts and let them cook for 5 minutes.

Stir the sprouts and add the garlic powder, salt, and pepper, then recover and cook for another 5 minutes.

Add dried cranberries and a drizzle of balsamic over the Brussels sprouts. You can cook the sprouts for an additional minute or two to cook off some of the strong balsamic flavor.

Sprinkle the cheese over top the sprouts and let it melt before stirring and serving.