I have to admit, as someone who isn't actually vegan, I found myself completely bewildered at how good this baked vegan mac and cheese recipe is. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but this is some seriously good stuff. The recipe below is extremely easy to make and tastes just as good, if not better, than the real thing. 

If you're someone who lives a vegan lifestyle, or is just curious about possible recipes that don't require dairy, then I would highly recommend trying out this recipe. Like other recipes for vegan mac and cheese, this version has all of the creamy and zesty elements you expect, with a toasty bread crust on top that's sure to make anyone's tastebuds happy. 

Baked Vegan Mac and Cheese

• 16 oz. package pasta
  • 2 pieces bread
  • 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
  • 1 3/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
cream, milk
Katie Davidson

Preheat your oven to 350°F and boil some water. Once the water is boiled, place the cashews in a bowl and let them soak in the hot water for 15-20 minutes.

vegetable, legume
    Katie Davidson

As the oven is heating up, place the two pieces of bread onto a baking sheet, drizzle with some olive oil and salt, and let them sit in the oven until toasted.

banana, wheat, bread
    Katie Davidson

Measure out the almond milk, nutritional yeast, vinegar, garlic, olive oil, onion powder, sea salt, chilli powder, turmeric, and black pepper.

milk, cream, dairy product
    Katie Davidson

After 15-20 minutes has passed, drain the cashews so that no water is remaining, and place them as well as your measured out ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.

coffee, milk
    Katie Davidson

Bring a pot of water to a boil, and add the pasta to the pot. Cook the pasta until it is al dente (still slightly firm).

sauerkraut, chicken, soup
    Katie Davidson

Once cooked, drain the pasta and place it back into the pot. Then pour your sauce from the blender directly onto the pasta in the pot.

milk, cream, dairy product
    Katie Davidson

Mix the contents in the pot well, and place the pasta into an oven safe baking dish.

macaroni, cheese, tortellini, cream, sauce, pasta
    Katie Davidson

Clean the blender from any remaining sauce and place the two toasted pieces of bread into the blender. Blend until crumbly, and then lay the crumbs over your pasta in the dish.

rice, porridge, wheat, cereal
    Katie Davidson

Place the dish in the oven, and cook for 25-30 minutes.

sweet, rice, milk, porridge, oatmeal
    Katie Davidson

Take the dish out of the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Then serve and enjoy!

wheat, porridge, sweet, milk, cereal
    Katie Davidson