Halloween has come and gone, and we all know what that means: It’s time to turn our watering palates away from bite-size candy and towards the warmth and heartiness of every foodie’s favorite holiday…Thanksgiving. If you’re anything like me, Thanksgiving is all about the side dishes – stuffing, mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus, cranberry sauce…the list goes on and on. This easy recipe is adapted from one of my family favorites, and takes a dessert-like spin on a classic baked sweet potato dish. Let us all give thanks to dishes that mix dinner with dessert.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 – 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 – 45 minutes
2 cans of cut sweet potatoes or yams
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of butter or margarine
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Open two cans of cut sweet potatoes or yams and pour into a large tin pan.
3. Mash sweet potatoes until smooth. Mix in butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans.
4. Smooth across the bottom of the pan and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and dot with marshmallows in design of your choosing.
6. Place back in the oven until marshmallows are golden brown (5-10 minutes).
7. Remove and serve hot.