These linzer tarts are one of Christmas’ Favorite Cookie. Use a cookie cutter of your choice to make them in the shape of snowflakes, angles, Christmas trees, snowmen or any other holiday season symbol. It is an easy recipe that makes delicious, light, sugary treats.

Easy

Prep Time: 20-25 minutes
Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
Total time: About 45 minutes

Servings: 12-24 cookies (vary with size of cookie)

1 cup softened butter
1 ¼ cups sugar (divided)
2 eggs (separated)
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoons salt
confectioners sugar
¾ cup raspberry (or any flavor of your choice) preserves

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. In a large bowl, cream butter and 2/3 cup sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  3. Combine flour and salt, and gradually add to creamed mixture. Mix well and shape dough into a large ball.
  4. Flour a flat surface/cutting board and use a rolling pin or wine bottle to spread out dough to 1/8 thickness.
  5. With a glass or cookie cutter, cut dough into desired shape.
  6. For circular cookies, cut out a smaller circle in half of the cookies with a shot glass or doughnut cutter to make the holes for the filling.

Austrian Linzer

Photo by Amanda Shulman

7. Transfer newly cut shapes to a large cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Caution: watch cookies, for they tend to brown easily after 10 minutes.

Austrian Linzer

Photo by Amanda Shulman

8. Once your cookies have chilled, spread 1 tablespoon of jelly on the center of each cookie bottom.
  9. Lightly place the cookies with holes on top of the jelly, and press down slightly until jelly is pushed through the hole in the center. Repeat with every cookie bottom and top pair.

Austrian Linzer

Photo by Amanda Shulman

10. Sprinkle confectioners sugar over jellied cookie sandwiches, and voila! Your Austrian Linzer Tarts are ready to be served!

Austrian Linzer

Photo by Amanda Shulman