Considering it's the holiday season, eating healthily has become harder than ever. Even though I like to eat clean, I have found myself eating pie (whoops) for breakfast. Here is where the apple bread comes in. 

Apple bread is like banana bread, but better (yes, I went there). This bread makes the perfect breakfast or snack; it holds you over but doesn't feel like it's just sitting in your stomach. This apple bread is 100% whole grain, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, and can be vegan if you use a flax egg. It even has fruit too!

Essentially what I'm saying is that it's the new superfood. If you haven't already started checking your pantry for ingredients, you're either not at home or clinically insane. Now, after my very astute diagnosis, I say to you: let's get baking.

Apple Bread

• 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 apples cored and diced
  • 2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil you can sub with a different oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 splash milk choice
  • 2 teaspoon pure almond extract
apple, pie, cake, peach
Brooke Daly

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Then, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt.

flour, dough, wheat, milk, bread, dairy product, cereal
    Brooke Daly

In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, applesauce, oil, egg, milk, and almond extract.

soup, tea, coffee, broth
    Brooke Daly

Now, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.

coffee, cream, chocolate, peanut butter
    Brooke Daly

Gently fold the apples into the batter. Then, pour the batter into a sprayed 8x8" inch loaf pan.

cake, chocolate
    Brooke Daly

Bake the bread in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean. Let cool before at least 20 minutes and then dig in! Store leftovers in a sealed bag or container in the fridge.

apple, pie, cake, peach
    Brooke Daly