There may be thousands of fall dessert recipes, but this one is special because it takes a classic childhood recipe and brings it to the next level. I was first introduced to monkey bread at summer camp when I was younger, and although I never really knew why it was called Monkey bread, it became an instant classic in my house. 

Needing a dessert for a fall-themed potluck dinner, I decided to bring the gooey, cinnamon-y bread along with me. But, I wanted to upgrade the classic dessert into something fall-esque. The apple and bourbon are a perfect fit with the cinnamon sugar-coated biscuits. This pull-apart apple bourbon monkey bread is incredibly easy to make, and will be an instant crowd pleaser.

#SpoonTip: Ditch the utensils and eat this treat with your hands.

Apple Bourbon Monkey Bread

• 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup butter melted
  • 2-12 ounce cans refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
  • 2 apples
  • 1/4 cup bourbon
apple pie, apple, meat, chicken
Meghan Buonanno

Gather your ingredients and generously grease either a bundt pan or a 9-inch square pan. Then preheat the oven to 350°F.

apple, juice
    Meghan Buonanno

Using scissors, cut the biscuits into fourths. Then chop the apples into half-inch cubes.

vegetable, sweet
    Meghan Buonanno

Mix both sugars with the cinnamon in a bowl, and set next to the melted butter. Dip the chunks of apple and pieces of biscuit in the melted butter, and then roll them in the cinnamon sugar until completely coated.

chicken
    Meghan Buonanno

Once coated, place alternating pieces of apple and biscuit in the prepared pan until the bottom of the pan is covered. Gently press down on the dough and then continue to add additional layers of apples and biscuit until the pan is full.

chicken, meat, vegetable, pork
    Meghan Buonanno

Sprinkle any excess butter and sugar over the completed pan, and then drizzle the bourbon over the dish.

chicken, curry, sauce, meat
    Meghan Buonanno

Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. The time will vary depending on the type of pan that you use.

apple
    Meghan Buonanno

Let the bread sit for 10 minutes, invert the pan onto your serving platter, and then enjoy. Make sure to eat while it's hot.

apple pie, apple, meat, chicken
    Meghan Buonanno

Original recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens