Olive oil is not just fab drizzled over baguette bread or emulsified into salad dressing but it makes a great butter and vegetable oil substitute. Its healthy fats aid in heart health, help maintain healthy cholesterol levels and protects against Alzheimer’s. Plus it’s a delicious twist when paired with almond and vanilla. Even more bonus points–it’s kosher!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
3/4 cup sliced almonds
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper, cooking spray or flour.
2. Place sliced almonds in bottom of the cake pan.
3. Cream sugar, eggs and olive oil together with a hand-held mixer for about one minute.
4. Add remaining ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour batter over almonds.
5. Bake cake for 35 minutes. Flip upside when cool and serve.
Looking for more unique sweets? Check these out: