Everywhere you go in Delhi, you’re sure to find those carts selling American Corn. It’s like somehow this (admittedly delicious) alternative has managed to sweep away all the love we had for the humble Indian bhutta. And that’s real sad – because the local variety rocks big time, plus it is versatile AF! 

I’m not asking you to completely give up on sweet corn for some misguided foodie nationalism. But hey, the bhutta does deserve another chance to impress your taste buds.

Try out these super-easy methods to prep this treat and you won’t be disappointed. 

1. Flame Grilled Three Ways

corn
Mehak Dhawan

Once you have grilled your corn (and do remember to rotate every few minutes so it cooks evenly all around) you don’t have to simply eat it plain. You can mix things up with these different seasonings.

Mexicana: Made by combining mayonnaise, yogurt and chili powder. Served with lime wedges.

Desi: Chilli flakes, black salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon; you know the drill.

Italian Style: This means simply slathering the corn in garlic butter, which you can learn to make here. 

2. In a Sandwich

bread, cheese, dairy product, sandwich, toast
Ria Bhargava

As a rule, grilled cheese sandwiches taste good with every kind of crazy filling under the sun. Indian corn is no exception.

To make this treat, spread butter and cheese on your favorite bread and top it with boiled corn.

#SpoonTip: Add a sprinkling of oregano mix before you close the slices for a pizza-esque experience.

3. As an Omelet Stuffing

In your beaten egg and spice mixture, add boiled bhutta and every other kind of veggie you have. I usually add tomatoes, capsicum, onions, and coriander – these make for a sneakishly healthy breakfast. (Mum would be proud.) 

4. As a Hash Brown Filling

chicken, pizza
Vishesh Monga

Take your leftover potatoes and mash them up with onions, cheese, and corn. Then fry this batter up to make crispy-crunchy hash browns that go really well with both ketchup and mayo.

#SpoonTip: You don’t necessarily need to deep fry here. Try using a spot of olive oil and a non-stick pan to get just the right flavors. 

5. In a Salad

corn, sweet corn
Simran Bajaj

You can add bhutta to virtually any kind of salad, it’s always a delight. But you must try tossing it with boiled chickpeas, square-ish chunks of paneer, a few leaves of mint, and this homemade lemon pepper seasoning. Deelish.