In hot countries like Vietnam, Indonesia, and Brazil, avocados are often used in cold desserts as a rich and creamy way to bear the heat. There are many varieties of the classic avocado shake. The Indonesian avocado shake (es alpukat) has cold coffee in it. The Brazilian version (creme de abacate) adds lime juice for a tart, acidic contrast to the rich avocado.

This Vietnamese avocado shake (sinh tố bơ) is a simple treat perfect for a hot summer day. The condensed milk helps to bring out the richness of the avocado. The shake’s thick, pudding-like consistency allows it to either be enjoyed through a thick straw or with a spoon.

Avocado shakes are super decadent, but you don’t have to feel too bad about having them because avocados are a great source of various nutrients: omega-3 fatty acids, potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin B6, vitamin E, vitamin C, and more. It’s no wonder that they’re so popular around the world.

Vietnamese Avocado Shake (Sinh tố bơ)

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:0 minutes
  • Total Time:5 minutes
  • Servings:2-3

• 1 medium-sized avocado
  • 1 cup ice
  • 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup milk
Photo by Alan Yeh

Cut avocado in half and remove pit.

Photo by Alan Yeh

Scoop the avocado halves into a blender and add all other ingredients.

#SpoonTip: Add extra milk for a runnier consistency and extra condensed milk for a sweeter shake.

Photo by Alan Yeh

Cover and blend until smooth.

Photo by Alan Yeh

Pour into individual glasses and serve cold. If you want it all to yourself, though, fill up a mason jar and enjoy it solo.

Photo by Alan Yeh