Recently, there has been a huge obsession throughout Spoon University about things you can make in a mug and a microwave. There have been several recipes posted about making everything from chocolate chip cookies to a poached egg. Aside from this obsession people face of making things quickly and easily, there has been another food trend people seem to love on top of virtually everything, Sriracha.

As a college student, I sometimes feel like I’m constantly on the move. From classes to clubs to sports practices I feel as though there isn’t very much time in the day, especially when I end up skipping the most important meal of the day. But now I no longer have an excuse to skip breakfast. The combination of Sriracha and eggs is a great way to spice up your breakfast and give you the energy you need to quick start your day, but the fact that you can make it in a mug with a microwave in less than 5 minutes makes this combo oh-so-much better.

These recipes require 5 items or less and items, which can be substituted with whatever you have laying around in  your kitchen and fridge. Improvisation is a college student’s best friend, get creative. These recipes are just guidelines of quick and easy ways to make breakfast entertaining. Now get to making, eggs and Sriracha are calling.

Egg & Sriracha Quiche

Easy

Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 4 minutes

Servings: 1

1 egg
2 tablespoons grated cheese
Sriracha
5 pieces torn bread (bagel or english muffin also work)
Cilantro (or other herbs for garnish)

Egg

Photo by Briana Jones

1. In a microwave safe mug crack 1 egg, whisking it throughly until the egg whites are completely broken up. (Add salt and pepper for taste)

Egg

Photo by Briana Jones

2. Add the grated cheese into the egg mixture along with the torn bread pieces.

Egg

Photo by Briana Jones

3. Place in microwave on high for a 60 seconds or just until the egg is fully cooked. (Depending on your microwave it might take more or less time)

Egg

Photo by Briana Jones

4. Garnish with cilantro, add Sriracha and enjoy your easy to make homemade quiche.

Egg

Photo by Briana Jones

Egg

Photo by Briana Jones

Egg & Sriracha Poached Egg Open Sandwich 

Easy

Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute-1:30 minutes
Total Time: 1 minute-1:30 minutes

Servings: 1

1 egg
1/3 cup water
1 slice bread (can be substituted with bagel or english muffin)
Sriracha
Grated cheese and/or cilantro (or other herbs for flavor)

Egg

Photo by Briana Jones

1. Crack the egg into the mug and then carefully add 1/3 cup of water trying to not break up the yolk.

Egg

Photo by Briana Jones

Egg

Photo by Briana Jones

2. Place the mug in the microwave with a microwave-safe plate or cover on top. Set the microwave to about 60-80% power for 60 seconds. Then carefully remove the plate from on top of the mug and check the egg. If it is not cooked, place it back in the microwave on 50% power in 20 second bursts until its fully cooked.

Egg

Photo by Briana Jones

3. Remove the egg from the water and place it on top of a toasted piece of bread (I used a english muffin in lieu of a piece of bread), add Sriracha, salt, pepper and herbs to taste. Voila! There is your open face Sriracha egg breakfast delicacy.

Egg

Photo by Briana Jones

Sriracha & Egg Avocado Burrito

Easy

Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: 1 minute-1:30 minutes
Total Time: 2 minute- 2:30 minutes

Servings: 1

2 eggs
1 tortilla
1/2 avocado
Grated cheese and cilantro for flavor and garnish
Sriracha and salsa

Egg

Photo by Briana Jones

1. Crack the 2 eggs into a mug and whisk until all the egg whites are broken apart. (Add salt and pepper if you want)

Egg

Photo by Briana Jones

2. Place the mug in the microwave on high for 60 seconds. If the egg is still not fully cook add additional time in 15 second intervals. When the egg is fully cook, break it apart with a fork.

3. Spread cheese all over the tortilla, place the scrambled eggs on top of the tortilla, then add half the avocado in vertical slices. Add salsa with a dash of Sriracha on top with additional herbs to one’s desire.

Egg

Photo by Briana Jones

4. Fold into a burrito and enjoy your protein rich energy breakfast at home or on the go.

Egg

Photo by Briana Jones

Get microwavin’, breakfast is no longer a hassle.