If the world really is running out of chocolate, then we need to be prepared. Now that we have definitive proof that chocolate is good for your brain and well-being, there’s no reason not to keep copious amounts of it in your house.

Sure, people are impressed by homemade cupcakes and cookies, but homemade chocolate? That’s a new level of domestic goddess-ness.

These are a perfect and unexpected treat for anyone in your life, especially your vegan friends who are often deprived of conventional chocolate. Using Splenda to make these bars means they’re sugar-free, which makes them a smarter alternative to the king-sized Kit-Kat you’ve been eyeing.

I keep a couple of these in my bag with me as a motivational treat during studying, but you can use a little chocolate to celebrate anything. Whip up a batch, watch some Parks and Rec while it’s in the fridge and you’ll have a scrumptious treat ready for you by the end of the episode.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

½ cup cocoa powder
4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
¼ cup Splenda (or any calorie-free sweetener)

chocolate

Photo by Kelli Haugh

Directions: 

1. Mix together all of the ingredients in a bowl until everything is well-combined and the mixture is pretty thick (about 3-4 minutes). It’s okay if the Splenda doesn’t dissolve completely.

chocolate

Photo by Kelli Haugh

2. Line a 5 or 6-inch square container with wax paper or foil. Pour the mixture into the lined container and pop it into the fridge until it’s firm and set, which will take about 25 minutes.

Note: The bigger your container is, the thinner your bars will be. Keep this in mind when deciding which size to use.

chocolate

Photo by Kelli Haugh

3. Cut up into pieces and start snacking. Store these chocolate bars in the fridge because coconut oil will melt at room temperature and you’ll be left with a messy (but delicious) situation.

Brush up on your chocolate trivia with these must-know facts about the stuff, and check out these other DIY chocolate recipes: