I am a meat eater. But vegetarian-ism and veganism are becoming more and more prominent in our world. While the 4th of July typically means barbecue type food, which is usually meat, there are definitely ways to make delicious food that your veg friends will appreciate, and the meat eaters will enjoy. Follow this list of vegetarian 4th of July recipes for inspiration on making the best food for everyone.

1. BBQ Jackfruit

chicken
Abi Scott

Jackfruit is being used often lately as a meat substitute/imitation. While it may have a bit of a bitter flavor, it tastes pretty damn close to the real thing, and meat eaters are likely to be fooled. Cook it properly and smother it in BBQ sauce, and you have the perfect 4th of July sandwich. 

2. Corn on the Cob

corn, vegetable, pasture, maize, hazelnut, meat
Delia Johnson

What's a cookout without a side of corn on the cob? Check out this recipe to find out the perfect way to cook corn on the cob in the oven.

3. Black Bean Burger

sandwich
Megan Prendergast

Burgers are a necessity when it comes to cookouts, and black bean burgers are a popular choice among vegetarians. If you have an extra 30 minutes and really want to wow your guests, throw in the homemade fries as a side.

4. Watermelon Cooler

watermelon, juice, sweet, melon
Kathleen Lee

You'll probably need to hydrate and refresh during your 4th of July celebration, and what better way than this watermelon drink? If you don't want the fireworks to be the only thing getting lit, throw in some tequila

5. Grilled Watermelon

Because honestly, watermelon screams summer. Grilling is also a summer staple, so for those who don't eat meat, and even those who do, grilling watermelon is a perfect idea. This will be one of the vegetarian 4th of July recipes your friends won't stop talking about.

6. Vegetarian Beer Chili 

chili
Abby Galyon

While chili is often served with meat in it, this one certainly isn't dull as it contains tons of ingredients, including of course, beer. A summer cookout isn't the same without beer, so you might as well throw some in the food while you're at it. 

7. Potato Salad

vegetable, meat, chicken, curry, sauce
Jody Brimacombe

This looks like a more exciting update to regular potato salad tbh. And who doesn't love avocados?

8. Grilled Cheese 

sandwich, cheese, grilled cheese sandwich
Rachel Linder

Grilled cheese is a classic, but there are also many ways to make things more interesting. Try some of these fun and innovative sandwiches to blow your friends away and get fancy this holiday.

9. Vegetarian Zucchini Meatballs

vegetable, spaghetti, pasta, julienne
Lora Maghen

Imitation meat can be hit or miss, but zucchini is a tasty vegetable and these "meatballs" sound pretty freakin' bomb. Serve them alone or make meatball sandwiches to give off the perfect cookout vibe.

10. Fruit Salad

pineapple, apple, vegetable, pasture, juice, banana

Fruits are one of the obvious choices for vegetarians, but their bright colors and flavors are also perfect for summer time and cookouts. Amp up a traditional fruit salad by trying out this recipe. 

11. Blue and White Dipped Strawberries

strawberry, berry, cream, cake
Mira Nguyen

Don't forget dessert. Get in the 4th of July spirit by making these super cute red, white, and blue themed strawberries.

Don't let dietary restrictions restrict you from having an awesome recipe lineup this 4th of July. Treat your guests to some yummy food that vegetarians will thank you for and meat eaters will still love with these delicious 4th of July recipes.