Mark your calendars because August 19th is National Potato Day. If you ask me though, every day is potato day if you want it to be. Here's 11 of the best potato recipes to help you celebrate this extra special holiday.  

1. Smiley Fries

vegetable, ketchup
Arden Sarner

These smiley fries will give you a flashback to your elementary school cafeteria.  I apologize in advance if those were days you never want to relive.  But you have to admit, cafeteria food used to be really good when it was still unhealthy.  

2. Sweet Potato Latkes 

potato, carrot, vegetable, chicken, sweet, sweet potato
Katherine Baker

Don't forget about sweet potatoes on National Potato Day.  This simple recipe for sweet potato latkes can be reused for Hanukkah too.  A small twist on a classic recipe can always freshen up a meal. 

3. Sweet Potato Gnocchi 

gnocchi, meat, chicken
Ethan Cappello

Gnocchi is basically pasta's fancier cousin.  But, it's actually just as simple to make as pasta. This gnocchi recipe is sure to impress your family and friends. And, the gnocchi only needs to cook for ten minutes.  

4. Guacamole Sweet Potato Skins

avocado, guacamole
Maddie Cole

I swear people add avocado to everything nowadays. So why not add it to potato skins? This recipe combines foods I have never even imagined putting together.  Try it out though, it's the things that you least expect that you love the most. 

5. Purple Sweet Potato Pie

goody, pastry, candy, chocolate, cake, cream, sweet
Arden Sarner

If you don't make this pie for your stomach, do it for the 'gram. Seriously, it's  almost too pretty to eat. It's too good to only eat one slice.  

6. Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potato Cookies

cake, candy, pastry, sweet, chocolate, cookie
Katie Lee

I don't normally associate cookies with being healthy, but hey, I'm not complaining. This cookie recipe is so good on its own, you won't even need to dunk the cookies in milk.

7. Potato Chips

Alison Weissbrot

The best thing about making your own potato chips is that half of your money isn't going towards air. This potato chip recipe will take less time to make than going to the store to buy a bag of chips because these chips are made in the microwave.  

8. Chocolate Chip and Potato Chip Cookie Bars

milk
Julia Murphy

There's nothing better than a snack that is salty and sweet.   This cookie bar recipe is crunchy and can make for a fun game.  Have your friends try to guess what the secret ingredient is.  They'll probably never guess that it's potato chips.  

9. Sweet Potato Noodles

macaroni, vegetable, spaghetti, pasta
Alixandra Rutnik

I personally don't think shaping vegetables into noodles makes them a pasta substitute, but zoodles are a new craze.  And I have a feeling these sweet potato noodles can be too.  

10. Pumpkin Potato Soup

squash, vegetable, pumpkin, bread, cream, soup
Matt Volpe

This pumpkin potato soup is even better for the fall than a pumpkin spice latte.  But, make sure you try out the soup before Halloween comes around.  I highly recommend testing out this flavorful recipe on National Potato Day.  

11. Sweet Potato Truffles

sweetmeat, milk, goody, cream, sweet, candy, chocolate
Analiese Trimber

Chocolate and potatoes are two of the most versatile ingredients you can have in your kitchen. So, obviously, putting them together is a fantastic idea.  Make a lot of truffles because you are definitely going to eat more than just one.  

tuber, carbohydrate, potato, pasture, vegetable
Caroline Ingalls

Whichever recipes you choose to make, have a Happy National Potato Day.  I hope your holiday is filled with fried foods and booze.