Yolk is the kind of place that makes me happy just by looking at it. The Michigan Avenue storefront is accented by the kind of bright yellow that pops out at me even through a Chicago winter. 

Walking in, my first impression is that it's busy. The restaurant is packed most weekend mornings, and I'm greeted by the sound of conversations and clanging pots from where the food is being prepared. The interior is done in bright blue and dandelion colors that, with the warm wooden floors and tables, add to the energy and make for a cheerful, casual dining experience.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that most of Yolk's menu is made up of egg-based dishes. The first page lists all kinds of unique omelets, eggs benedict, frittatas, platters, and skillets. Ever wondered what would happen if bacon married a Belgian waffle? Meet the bacon waffle, served with two eggs of any style.

The choice is difficult, but I opt for one of my personal favorites, the El Torero Scrambler. This Mexican-style three-egg scrambler packs a hearty mix of spicy chorizo sausage, creamy avocado, and gooey cheddar all topped with a scoop of sour cream. The melted pepper jack and side of salsa give it just the right amount of heat.

If you're looking for something sweeter, flip the menu over and choose from a variety of crepes, French toasts, pancakes, and waffles. Your sweet tooth will be delighted by the Very Berry French Toast: challah French toast made with Yolk's secret batter served with a handful of fresh berries, granola, house-made Greek yogurt, and clover honey. The tartness of the yogurt and berries perfectly complements the sweetness of the syrup, so you can satisfy your cravings without feeling like you're eating pure sugar. 

The next time you want to make the most of your weekend morning, just hop on the 6 and look for the bright yellow awnings. If the cheery decor isn't enough to turn your frown sunny-side-upside down, then the food will.