With winter in full swing many students seek refuge from the cold. If Uncommon Grounds or Saratoga Coffee Traders is getting too packed for you then we have found a solution. The Whistling Kettle Tea Shop and Café, while a little further away in Ballston Spa, is your answer. With tons of teas and other treats it’s too good to pass up. So escape the cold with a hot cup of tea at the Whistling Kettle.

Whistling Kettle

Photo courtesy of thewhistlingkettle.com

The Whistling Kettle Tea Shop & Café is a tea lover’s oasis. Offering over 135 types of loose leaf teas the options are endless. In addition to their tea selection, the Whistling Kettle provides a sit down meal service. Their menu highlights cafe favorites such as quiches, scones, sandwiches, soups, salads, and crepes just to name a few. The Whistling Kettle is the best of both worlds, a hybrid that joins together a tea store and a cafe.

Whistling Kettle

Photo by Allison Gretchko

The Whistling Kettle caters to both tea novices and experts. With an extensive guide outlining the varieties of tea noting descriptions of each and brewing instructions the Whistling Kettle has got you covered. With the countless teas to pick from it can seem like a daunting task, but the waitstaff are friendly and able to answer any questions you may have.

Whistling Kettle

Photo by Mallika Acharya

One of their most popular teas is Snowflake, a sweet nutty tea that is reminiscent of a sugar cookie; it is like a giant warm hug. Our favorites include: Blackberry sage, Golden Starfruit, Meyer Lemon, Irish Rum, Raspberry-Cherry Compote, and Aztec Spice. But you can’t go wrong with any tea you choose.

Whistling Kettle

Photo by Allison Gretchko

During our visit we got to indulge in a blueberry lemon scone with preserves and cream. We were also able to try the Aztec Spice tea with cream and a shot of espresso. This Aztec Spice tea creation was like the perfect marriage between tea, hot chocolate, and coffee. The scone was so warm and buttery that it melted in your mouth and when dipped into the preserves and cream it added a whole other layer of texture and flavor. The cool smooth cream mixed with sweet and tart preserves complemented and heightened the richness of the scone. Make your own scones here.

Whistling Kettle

Photo by Allison Gretchko

In one corner of the of the restaurant there is a wall filled with more teas than we could count. This area is accurately named the sniffing bar. Small glass jars with a sample of each tea are lined up so that you are able to smell the aroma and view the ingredients of the teas. Additionally, they have another area devoted to tea paraphernalia featuring mugs, tea cups, tea pots, thermoses, tea filters/infusers, and more.

Whistling Kettle

Photo by Mallika Acharya

After our visit we were left wanting more. We were ready and eager to return to explore the world of teas. Luckily the Whistling Kettle is only a short drive away in Ballston Spa and it is most definitely worth the trip.