It's no secret that birthdays are one of the best days of the year. You get treated like royalty and get showered with presents. An added perk? Free food. Food always puts a smile on people's faces, and it's even better when you don't have to pay for it. Her are 10 places to visit in Ontario to snag some birthday freebies. 

1. Booster Juice

soda, juice, tea
Lisa Xu

You can get your daily serving of fruits and veggies here, so you can indulge the rest of the day guilt-free. Sign up with Booster Nation, and they'll give you a regular-sized smoothie on the house when your birthday rolls around. 

2. Menchie's

cream, chocolate, ice cream, ice
Lisa Xu

Menchie's is the go-to place for fro-yo lovers. And if you register with their rewards card, Menchie's will offer you a free fro-yo up to a value of $5. Experiment with flavours and go crazy with the toppings. Even if your concoction doesn't look great, it'll taste great. 

3. Panera Bread

pecan, bread, cake, sweet, cinnamon, pastry
Lisa Xu

Inside this cute cafe lies a counter full of delectable pastries waiting for you to choose. Sign up for their rewards program, and you'll get a free pastry for your birthday. You get another free pastry just for signing up. Two for the price of zero. Now that's a sweet deal. 

4. The WORKS Gourmet Burger Bistro 

cheese, bacon
Lisa Xu

At The Works, burgers come in all shapes and sizes with every topping imaginable. Register with their (aptly named) Burgers With Benefits Club, and you'll receive the gift of a free burger with a side. A chance to try a gourmet burger without spending a dime? Works for me. 

5. Starbucks

espresso, ice, milk, tea, coffee
Lisa Xu

Starbucks is a popular place to get a caffeine fix, but their drinks aren't always budget friendly for students. However, if you create a Starbucks Rewards account, you'll get a free birthday drink, any size. And who knows, maybe they'll even spell your name right. 

6. Denny's

Head to this all-day breakfast joint to get a free Grand Slam meal on your special day. What better way to start the day than with bacon, eggs, and pancakes? Just flash your I.D., and you'll get the next best thing to having breakfast served in bed

7. Mandarin Restaurant

Everyone should get to feast like royalty on their birthday. Mandarin thinks so too. Just sign up for their newsletter, print the coupon, bring three friends, and you'll get a free birthday meal. Who can say no to a free buffet?

8. David's Tea

For tea connoisseurs, become a member of their Frequent Steeper rewards program, and you'll be gifted with a free cup of tea for joining, and another free cup on your birthday. Now that's a pretty tea-rrific deal. 

9. Baskin Robbins

| scream, you scream? We all scream because Baskin Robbins is offering a buy one get one cone free deal if you join Club 31. Share with a friend, or indulge by yourself. It's your birthday; you call the shots. 

10. Boston Pizza

Normally, you wouldn't go to a pizzeria if you wanted to get dessert, but if they're offering it for free, it's hard to refuse. Sign up for an account, bring the coupon and I.D., visit one of the participating restaurants and they'll give you a free sweet treat. 

Visit these 10 places to get free birthday food in Ontario. After all, the best things in life are free, so take advantage of these offers and you'll be sure to have a happy birthday indeed.