Say what you want about Fresno, but it’s my hometown. Better yet, I get to spend my summers there, blasting the air conditioning and trying not to melt in the 100+ degree heat that roasts the Central Valley. Sometimes, it gets so hot that the only desirable foods are chilly and made in a blender. Lucky for all of us, french fries are made to be enjoyed indoors with a milkshake on the side.

Whether it’s your first time visiting or you’ve been living here forever, don’t think about leaving Fr(ies)no before you order fries from these restaurants.

1. Irene’s Cafe

fries

Photo courtesy of irenescafe.com

Yes, you saw right. Those are crinkle cut fries, and they are just as satisfying as you remember them to be. Located in the historic Tower District, Irene’s is always bustling for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Order a basket of fries with a side of honey mustard, which pairs perfectly with Irene’s homemade veggie burger. Whether or not you share is up to you.

2. Dog House Grill

fries

Photo courtesy of firestonegrill.com

If you love food, Dog House is the place to go. The reason I say “love” here is because visiting this restaurant is a commitment. They don’t take phone orders, the parking is a disaster, and it’s hard to snag a table without nudging hungry people out of the way. All things aside, Dog House is so popular because their food is GOOD. This is the restaurant I crave when I’m away at college, mostly because they have such amazing, perfectly seasoned, thin-cut fries. These are best enjoyed by the handful dunked in ranch dressing or barbecue sauce.

3. Berrock Shop

fries

Photo courtesy of Berrock Shop on Facebook

If you like your fries very salty, this is the place for you. They’re always served hot with lots of ketchup, and from my experience, they magically stay hot on the car ride home. If you feel like trying a new food, get your hands on one of the homemade berrocks. A marriage of meat and bread, these special sandwiches come with a surprise inside.

4. Jack’s Urban Eats

fries

Photo courtesy of foodspotting.com

Garlic fries. They have garlic fries. Need I say more?

5. Colorado Grill

fries

Photo courtesy of Colorado Grill on Facebook

Have you ever dreamed of a cup full of fries? I have, and that dream came true when I went to Colorado Grill. These fries are some of my favorites, because if I have them served in a cup, they’re easier to guard from fry-stealers. More for me.