You probably know that there are lot of benefits of choosing locally-grown produce. It travels a shorter distance to get to you, it's generally fresher, and its sales directly support local farmers. However, you might not yet know where to find local fresh fruits and vegetables in Vancouver. Here's a guide to help you out.

Farmers' Markets

person, farmer's market, apple, pear
Kimberly Kao

Farmers' markets have some of the widest selections of local goods in the city. Dozens of vendors sell local produce, meat, poultry, dairy, seafood and more. There are two farmers markets open right now for the winter season.

The Nat Bailey location is open on Saturdays from 10 am to 2 pm, and features over 70 local vendors. It's a 15-minute walk away from the King Edward Canada Line Station. 

The Hastings Park location, located on the PNE fairgrounds,  is open Sundays from 10 am to 2 pm, and features over 35 local vendors. It's easily accessible via the 14, 16, and 95 B-line bus routes. 

Once summer arrives, there will be six more locations reopening starting in May and June. Check out the list of all the official Vancouver Farmers' Markets here.

On Campus

UBC students don't need to look far for fresh produce. After all, they've got a farm right on campus.

The UBC Farm has pop-up egg markets on alternating Tuesdays starting March 21st, weekly Tuesday and Saturday markets starting in June, and weekly Wednesday markets at the UBC Bookstore starting in June as well. Their full schedule is posted online.

Produce Boxes

If you're not so keen on having to pick your own produce, consider looking at a service that'll pick the best local and in-season produce for you.

UBC Sprouts Box

Organized by the Sprouts non-profit at UBC, the Sprouts Box comes in two sizes and are available weekly. Subscribers pre-pay by the term and can either pick their box up from the Nest rooftop garden or get their box delivered via bike. Small boxes are $200 and large boxes are $250 per term.

Spud

One of the pioneers of produce delivery, Spud offers free weekly delivery to the Greater Vancouver area. Spud offers customers to pick and choose what they want, or select from a variety of harvest boxes.

Crisp Organics

apple, pasture
Amanda Shulman

Crisp Organics is a family farm in Abbotsford that offers weekly boxes of produce from their farm. Subscribers pick up their box from various locations around the region. Subscriptions last a season and cost $682.50 for 26 weekly boxes.

If you've been wanting to eat more local food, there's no better time to begin than now.