I like to think that I eat pretty healthy. Over the past few years, I've been committed to eating more produce. Local produce always tastes better, but when I moved to Saskatoon, I found it difficult to find places that sell fresh fruits and veggies. But I did my research and found the best places to find local produce in Saskatoon. 

Hit Up The Local Farmer's Market

When looking for local produce in a new city, the first place to check out is always the Farmer’s Market. You can find almost anything at the Saskatoon Farmer's Market including fruits, veggies, bread, chocolate, and honey. I have a weak spot for artisan bread, so it's no wonder my favourite vendor is the Good Spirit Bakery.

They sell a variety of artisan bread including sourdough, multigrain, and lentil (really, lentils in bread? You bet. So there are options for both the conservative and the adventurous. While the Farmer's market is perhaps the most common go-to for local produce, the distance from the university is not always appealing—especially when the temperature drops below -30C or midterm studying takes up all your time.

The Solution?

vegetable
Jillian Rogers

The U of S Campus Market of course. A partnership between the Office of Sustainability, the U of S Students Union, and the Saskatoon Farmer’s Market, the U of S Campus Market brings all the goodness of the Farmer's Market to the convenient location of Place Riel one Thursday a month. Every month the vendors change up a bit, making room for exciting new finds such as handmade soap, honey, or a small container of sprouts.

If once a month is too long to wait, the USSU Food Center Market has you covered. You’ll find them in Place Riel Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 10:30-4 every week. They always have a selection of fruits, veggies, chickpeas, pasta and more for super reasonable prices ($1 for three apples anyone?). Plus, you might get lucky and snag some blueberries, mangoes, or hummus, if available.

Stay Local

squash, pasture, vegetable, pumpkin
Denise Uy

While the options above are great, my go-to favourite for local produce though is the CHEP Good Food Box. Available through the USSU Food Center, CHEP Good Food Boxes are affordable and reliable. Orders are made every other Monday and ready for pick up Wednesday of the following week from the USSU Food Center.

The best part? You don’t have to leave campus. A definite godsend in frigid temperatures or if you’re a student with a busy schedule. The CHEP GFB offers a variety of sizes for all needs, whether you’re feeding 3-4 people or just yourself. Opening a GFB is like unwrapping a present on Christmas day: I never know what I'm going to get. Maybe a giant head of cabbage? Radishes? Kiwis? The sometimes unfamiliar contents have led to the discovery of new recipes and trying veggies I wouldn’t otherwise pick up for myself.

pasture, strawberry, raspberry, sweet, berry
Spoon University

There is something satisfying about supporting local producers. With great options like the Saskatoon Farmer’s Market, the Campus Market, USSU Food Center Market, and CHEP, eating local produce while attending the U of S is 100% feasible.