Philly is huge, but good food can be found no matter which part you may be in. In my personal (maybe slightly biased) opinion, though, the best food can be found in the Northeast. Family owned delis, pizzerias, and restaurants are be found in any neighborhood you visit, which means quality food and friendly service everywhere.

If you ever find yourself hungry in Somerton, Bustleton, Krewstown, Fox Chase, Mayfair, or anywhere else in the Northeast, check out one of these places that are guaranteed to make you feel at home.

Las Margaritas

northeast

Photo by Erin Moskowitz

Probably the best Mexican restaurant experience you’ll ever have. From friendly service to authentic food, this restaurant has no shortage of delicious, margarita-filled fun and memorable moments. I would recommend coming here really, really hungry.

Nifty Fifty’s

northeast

Photo by Erin Moskowitz

Have you ever wondered what it was like to experience the retro-chic dining experiences of the 1950s? At this uniquely-themed restaurant, wonder no further. From frosty milkshakes and malts to burgers and fries, everything you get at Nifty Fifty’s will make you feel like you’re in a different era. Make sure you bring some change for the jukebox.

Andonio’s Diner

northeast

Photo by Erin Moskowitz

This classic diner in the heart of Krewstown is the perfect place for a cup of coffee with your mom, lunch with your siblings, or dinner with a friend. The delicious, quickly-served food never disappoints, and you’ll feel welcomed as if you were part of the family. It’s definitely recommended that you stop by for a hearty breakfast.

To-Kai

northeast

Photo by Erin Moskowitz

If you’re looking for entertainment with your food, I’d highly recommend having dinner at To-Kai. They do hibachi style food better than any other hibachi restaurant I’ve been to in Philly. The chefs are silly and fun, cracking jokes as they make your food in front of you. The food is also fantastic, but be prepared to take a box of leftovers home with you – trust me, you’ll want to. 

Wasabi

northeast

Photo by Erin Moskowitz

While the former restaurant I mentioned does have sushi as well, there is no sushi comparable to that of Wasabi in the upper Northeast. Rolls are only a few dollars each, made to order, and always have super-fresh ingredients. Plus, they deliver.

Station Pizza

northeast

Photo by Erin Moskowitz

Station is notorious for being a staple of the pizza experience in Northeast Philly. This small shop is always a go-to for fast, simple, great food. The thin crust is loved by many, as well as their other menu items. This was everyone’s favorite pizza as a kid, and probably still is as an adult if you’re from the area.

Steve Stein’s Famous Deli

northeast

Photo by Erin Moskowitz

Whether it’s Passover or just a weekend morning, Famous deli has got you covered for all of your Jewish food needs. This deli is the go-to for fresh fish, delicious bagels, and perfect sandwiches. With such a huge, delicious selection to choose from, it’s hard not to love this family owned deli.

Wit or Witout?

northeast

Photo by Erin Moskowitz

Despite the major controversy over where the find the perfect Philadelphia cheesesteak, it would be morally wrong for me to not mention my favorite destination for a cheesesteak in Philly. This small restaurant is relatively new in the scene of Philly foods, but it is fantastic nonetheless. The cheesesteaks are delicious, but they’re a massive portion – you may want to share with a friend.

#SpoonTip: Always say yes to fried onions.