You saw it all over the news: Hurricane Joaquin caused record-setting flooding in much of the Southeast, including the coastal city of Charleston, where I live. There was some damage in the area as a result of this, but luckily, the house I was stranded in was fine during the storm. Mainly, we just ate a lot and watched movies in succession.

Here are some of the things I ate when I was able to venture out of the house without my boots filling up with water.

1. Tenacious Turkey from Queen Street Grocery

hurricane

Photo by Kristen Kornbluth

This sandwich contained turkey, brie, sprouts, and apple. I don’t know about you, but to me, that was definitely worth leaving the warm, dry house for.

2. Kitchen Sink Grits from Jack’s Cafe

hurricane

Photo by Kristen Kornbluth

Grits + all sorts of veggies + 3 kinds of breakfast meat + a fried egg + Cheddar cheese = absolute heaven, especially in this weather.

3. Special #16 from La Hacienda

hurricane

Photo by Kristen Kornbluth

Nothing like some bottomless chips and salsa and a cheap combo meal (a quesadilla AND a tamale AND rice.) to motivate you to leave the house. I’m not even mad that I had to walk through puddles to get this.

4. Oreo Brownies

Photo by Alison Mally

A friend came over with a tray of these brownies right as we were all starting to get cabin fever. The best part about this was that I didn’t even have to leave the house to eat them. With that being said, however, I would walk through a torrential downpour any time for these.