There's nothing like a refreshing Roanoke sunrise to brighten your mood and begin your day of restaurant hopping. Nourishing your body is one of the best ways, along with getting enough rest, to reboot your energy. As a college student, I can attest to the fact that after a weekend Roanoke getaway, I always feel more positive about starting a new (most likely stressful) week. 

tea, water
Rachel Hicks

OK, so go to Roanoke... Now what? You probably missed the sunrise, being a typical college student and all, but the good news is that you're just in time for breakfast. Here's what to eat during your weekend getaway in Roanoke.

Breakfast

The best place for breakfast is Scrambled on Market Street and Campbell Avenue. My favorite thing to order is a New York Style bagel with cream cheese on the side and two scrambled eggs. 

doughnut, bagel
Ellery Simpson

Coffee

My favorite thing to order is a New York Style bagel with cream cheese on the side and two scrambled eggs. 

Sadly, Scrambled doesn't have great coffee, but Mill Mountain (which is right across the street), has experienced baristas who are friendly, cute, and great at making specialty drinks. You could also try Little Green Hive, located on Church Street, and Sweet Donkey Coffee, on Broadway Avenue. Sweet Donkey is actually my favorite coffee shop, but it's about a 15 minute drive from the city. The shop is in a house, and has adorable indoor seating, as well as picnic tables outside with overhanging twinkle lights. They have the best almond milk cappuccino I've ever had, and I've been to Europe several times. 

mocha, milk, espresso, cappuccino, coffee
Amy Cho

Lunch

Alright. Time for lunch. Right down the street from Scrambled, and it has a sister restaurant down the way from Sweet Donkey Coffee called Fork in the Alley.

Side note: There's a wonderful walking trail, called the Greenway, right by Sweet Donkey Coffee. Type in River's Edge Sports Complex into your GPS, and it'll take you to a great paved walkway next to the Roanoke river. 

The two restaurants have similar menus, including sandwiches, wraps, salads, pizza, pasta and soups. The portions are large, and there's nice outdoor seating. I'm a big fan of their Southwest BLT, with white toast, crispy bacon, fresh tomato, romaine lettuce, chipotle mayo, and guacamole. 

Dinner

There's a spot on Salem Avenue in town called Tuco's Taqueria Garaje, and their El Jefe Ensalada is huge, delicious, and something you can take back to Lexington to enjoy for the next three days. As a bonus, they play trendy alternative music inside, and foster a hip, trendy environment. 

The local favorite for dinner, however, is The River and The Rail on Crystal Spring Avenue, which has a menu that changes daily based on the availability of local, fresh ingredients. It's pretty pricey, but the service is excellent, and the portions are much larger than the typical stingy plates that appear in expensive restaurants.

Dessert

Now for dessert. Viva La Cupcake is actually right beside Fork in the Alley, and their cupcakes are half cake, half icing. You can't go wrong with any flavor. And the interior is constantly decorated for a part; it's very vibrant and fun. 

cake, cupcake, cream, buttercream, cheese, cream cheese
Sara Kotcher

If you're more in the mood for ice cream, try Pop's Ice Cream and Soda Bar in Grandin Village. It's just like walking into a fifties diner. Plus, Grandin is a fun place to walk around. There's an old theater, which shows new and vintage films, as well as several shops, and a nice residential area, too. 

Roanoke has many different feels to it — the city, the suburbs, and the new, trendy places. They're all within twenty minutes of each other. So, whatever you feel will reset your motivation button, give it a try!

Success? Venture Further! 

If you're feeling a bit more adventurous and you had a great time on your Roanoke getaway, or have more time on your hands, try getting away to somewhere else like Charlotte, North Carolina! 

http://spoonuniversity.com/how-to/where-to-eat-in-charleston-when-you-have-72-hours