In my opinion, sandwiches are perfect. Whoever thought of putting normal food in between two slices of bread was probably the world’s first prodigy. (My roommate tells me that it’s the Earl of Sandwich. I’m not totally convinced.) The sandwich spectrum is a large one, spanning from turkey and swiss in your elementary school lunchbox to a messy meatball sub.

As sandwich enthusiasts, we set out to find the strangest sandwich combos in Durham and here are our top five picks. Warning: they are mouthwateringly delicious and will force you to wonder why you never thought to put the ingredients together in the first place. Whether you eat all of them in one day (like my photographer and I) or attempt to replicate them back home, these new sandwich combinations are sure to impress.

5. Brie and Avocado Baguette from Geer Street Garden

weirdest sandwiches

Photo by Christina Langmack

This sandwich changed my life for the better. The combo of brie and avocado could not make for a smoother sandwich. With warm brie, caramelized onions, aioli and avocado served with a side of fries (or a salad… but who are we kidding?), you leave Geer Street wondering whether you could eat only this sandwich for the rest of your life.

#SpoonTip: For just $1, add bacon to the sandwich to take it to the next level.

4. #28 Peanut Butter, Bacon and Banana Panini from Parker and Otis

weirdest sandwiches

Photo by Christina Langmack

This sandwich is a bit more of a dessert than a sandwich. The contrasting textures of crispy bacon, peanut butter and bananas are incredible, despite the odd sounding combination. The salty taste of the bacon counters the sweetness of the bananas and honey. But be forewarned, the warm, dripping peanut butter will undoubtedly cover your face, hands and any unprotected clothing by the end of your meal.

3. Brier Bear Panini from the Deli-icious Food Truck

weirdest sandwiches

Photo by Christina Langmack

This panini is by far one of the prettiest sandwiches I’ve ever seen. The blackberry jam colors the sandwich and, along with the pears, compliments the Black Forrest ham with its sweetness, reminiscent of thanksgiving, fall tastes. Even better, Deli-icious conveniently comes to Duke on Mondays and Thursdays and will certainly provide you with a nice break from the typical Duke food plan. To find more information about Deli-icious’s schedule on campus, click here.

2. Sausage and Jam Biscuit from Monuts Donuts

weirdest sandwiches

Photo courtesy of takethebullbythefork.com

It’s hard to assemble a Durham food list without including the famous Monuts. Next time you’re there though, break from your traditional order and try mixing it up a bit with a biscuit slathered in housemade jam and topped with a sausage. Much like the combo of Nutella and pretzels, sweet jam and sausage are sure to compliment one another in this perfect brunch sandwich.

1. Fried Pork Cutlet Sandwich from Rose’s Meat Market and Sweet Shop

weirdest sandwiches

Photo by Christina Langmack

Conveniently located off of Duke’s East Campus, Rose’s small storefront doubles as a butcher and bakery. Their three daily sandwiches are each made with fresh-baked bread and cuts from their butcher. We chose to try the Fried Pork Cutlet Sandwich with cabbage, dobangjang and pepitas. This sandwich was much more complex than the other’s on our list but nevertheless delicious. It’s piled high with freshly fried pork and cabbage that combine to make a sandwich unique in taste with an Asian flair. Finish your meal with a perfect baked good or homemade ice cream from their large sweet section.