Let me start this out by saying I’m not what one might call “a doughnut person.” Would I give a warm, delicious doughnut the cold shoulder? No, but I wouldn’t necessarily go out of my way to find one, and it certainly isn’t my favorite dessert. This being said, Vincent Van Doughnut blew me out of the water – and is a definite rival for the popular Strange Donuts and John Donut.

Vincent Van Doughnut, a store that prides itself on doughnuts made completely from scratch in a variety of incredible flavors, was thought up by 24-year restaurateur Vincent Brian Marsden. With the help of his brother-in-law Will Saulsbery and his wife Brandie, he brought St. Louis its first doughnut truck (nicknamed Clyde) in November of 2013 and then its first homemade doughnut shop on March 14th of this year.

My roommate’s boyfriend, AKA Saint Dylan, brought home a freshly baked dozen on one Friday morning. It was only 10 am, but there were just a few flavors left in the store. He managed to snag some chocolate glazed, chocolate with coffee and lemon lavender. These fluffy square doughnuts were almost too perfect to touch (…just kidding, we dove right in).

Lemon Lavender

When it comes to dessert, I go for vanilla over chocolate, and I love all things involving fruit, especially lemon. This classic plain doughnut is coated with a lemon glaze and sprinkled with lavender pieces. At first, I wasn’t sure I was into the lavender, but it really balances out the sweetness of the glaze and gives it a fresh, herbal taste – something you wouldn’t normally expect from a doughnut.

doughnut

Photo by Sydney Davis

Chocolate with Coffee

If you’re into pastries for breakfast, this doughnut is certainly your kryptonite. The taste of coffee reminds you to wake the hell up and the chocolate relaxes you, even if it’s a Monday. A simple doughnut underneath allows the flavorful glaze to take the spotlight.

doughnut

Photo by Sydney Davis

Chocolate Glazed

Can’t go wrong with this baby. Nothing shy of delicious, this classic doughnut will still leave you speechless. The simple flavors highlight the texture and richness of the pastry.

doughnut

Photo by Sydney Davis

Want more doughnuts? Check these out: