Adam_Weiss

Photo by Adam Weiss

With Valentine’s Day upon us once again, it is now that familiar time of year when couples everywhere partake in the cherished ritual of sharing in an evening of romance over an exquisite meal. As lovely and enjoyable as the well-executed Valentine’s Day dinner may be, for many of us the task of planning one can be daunting. Fortunately, as many dessert options as there are in Ann Arbor, one need not look any farther than Vinology Wine Bar and Restaurant for an excellent combination of ambiance, delectable offerings, and (as its name suggests) quality wine from around the world.

Adam_Weiss

Photo by Adam Weiss

Located on Main Street on the block between Washington and Huron, Vinology may not be as well known as some of its competitors, such as La Dolce Vita. However, it offers a much more diverse selection of wines to go with its carefully-crafted desserts, all of which are actually quite affordable when purchased by the glass. In fact, even its most expensive dessert wine, the Port, Fonseca 20 year Tawny from Portugal, goes for $11 a glass, while the Port, Noval Ruby (also from Portugal) goes for just $5 a glass.

Adam_Weiss

Photo by Adam Weiss

Either of these wines would pair well with any one of Vinology’s dessert selections. For first-timers patrons looking for fail-safe choice, you really cannot go wrong with the signature strawberry shortcake for $10. Complete with fluffy white chocolate mousse whipped between two pieces of genoise sponge cake and sprinkled with guajillo chili spices, hibiscus-couli, and shaved chocolate, the dish is honestly one of the best desserts I’ve ever had and is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.

Adam_Weiss

Photo by Adam Weiss

If you don’t take my word for it, you will not be left without other great selections, including warm chocolate lava cake with cranberry compote and fig bread pudding with goat cheese ice cream and crystalized honey. Complementing these delicious desserts is the restaurant’s elegant interior, with intimate seating in comfortable leather booths, exposed brick walls, copious candles, and smooth jazz music radiating throughout. All of these luxuries make Vinology a solid choice for an intimate night out this Valentine’s Day, or any evening for that matter.

Adam_Weiss

Photo by Adam Weiss

Location: 110 S. Main Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Hours of operation: Mon-Thurs: 11 am-11 pm, Fri: 11 am-Midnight,
Sat: 4 pm-Midnight, Sun: 4 pm-10 pm

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Prince Range: Over $25