It's that time of the year to start gearing up for the holiday of love. If college classes at GVSU haven't already put us into an emotional spiral, we just love to also be reminded how single we actually are.

Forget about snuggling up with that special someone, or going out on an extravagant date this Valentine's Day because we’re all single AF. However, just because you don’t have a date, doesn’t mean you can’t have a little fun.

Here are three alternatives to help all you Grand Valley Lakers make the most out of your Valentine's Day:

1. Have a Night Out with Friends

tea, wine, coffee, beer
Alex Frank

Okay, this one may seem like a no-brainer, but heading to a bar or restaurant with a close group of friends can help fill the void that Valentine's Day creates. 

Maybe you want to head to the bar first, and then grab a bite to eat. Mully's or Main Street Pub has a large selection of beers and drinks, while also providing satisfying appetizers or full meals. 

If drinking isn't your thing, that's okay! There are tons of great restaurants around the Allendale and Grand Rapids campuses. Why not dress up and get fancy for a friendly Valentine's Day dinner? Celebrate yourself and your friendships by dining out at an extravagant restaurant like Bistro Bella Vita or  The Chop House

#SpoonTip: If want that Beef Brisket Bourhuignonne or The Chop House's Glazed Chilean Sea-bass, you better save that seat if you want to eat; reservations are highly recommended. 

2. Netflix & Chill

beer, coffee, tea
Molly McGeeney

NO! Get your mind out of the gutter! This Netflix & Chill simply means sit back, relax, and enjoy a good show. Head to that freezer and pull out some Ben & Jerry's or Toll House Cookie Dough, and an extremely large spoon; you deserve this.

With hundreds of movies and tv shows to choose from, this Netflix & Chill will serve as the perfect opportunity to de-stress or cry your eyes out (depending on which movie you watch). 

If you are looking for something a little more social, have a movie marathon with some friends and order some take-out; now you don't even have to leave the house. There are some great spots that deliver to Grand Valley.  

#SpoonTip: If you don't have a Netflix account, borrow a friends or go online. The Notebook, or 10 Things I Hate About You are some classic starter movies. If you're looking for something with a little action, V for Vendetta would also be a great choice. 

3. Party, Party, Party

chocolate, candy, tea, beer
Molly McGeeney

With parties being thrown almost every single weekend, (especially in 48 West) college is the perfect place to find some great people to get down with.

Play some games, socialize, and possibly find the one. You never know, maybe you will find your future soulmate. Okay, that may be a little bit a of stretch, but parties are a great place to meet people and just forget about your problems. 

While Valentine's Day may not be your favorite day of the year, you now have a few more reasons to get out of bed. Turn this historically romantic holiday into something special, and don't forget to "treat yo-self".