Most of us would never even think to open a restaurant with a menu dedicated to both burgers and crêpes. Owner Hitham Hiyajneh and his mother, however, did just that. “My philosophy on life is that there are copiers and creators. We don’t copy people. We are a creator of new categories,” said Hiyajneh, also owner of Pita Cabana Grill.

Offering crêpes, burgers, salads and juices, Underground Burgers & Crêpes is the ideal stop after a long day of classes. Having both salty and sweet favorites, this place is sure to please.

burger

Photo by Bari Blanga

Upon walking into this 13-table, cozy restaurant, you are immediately greeted by the host standing at the cashier register. Who knew this host would actually be the cook as well? As I glanced over the menu, I could feel my mouth watering.

With the music playing in the background and the detail-oriented artwork on the wall, this restaurant could not have had a more enjoyable atmosphere. The most special part of the restaurant, however, is how family-oriented it is. The staff acts as if they’re family and when visitors enter, whether new or not, the staff is always eager to make them feel at home.

burger

Photo by Bari Blanga

After asking the chef’s favorite, I decided to order the grilled chicken sandwich, which is really just a grilled chicken burger, and my friend opted for the grilled chicken salad. The savory and sweet crêpes looked delicious and smelled amazing. They were huge and came with toppings of your choice. I’ve only heard great reviews.

Upon seeing the huge plates of delicious-looking food headed my way, my heart started beating like that of a baby when he or she first learns how to walk. I may love food a lot more than most people, but you’d probably have the same feeling if you were there.

burger

Photo by Bari Blanga

Grilled Chicken Sandwich (Or shall I say burger)

Can you say delicious? With lettuce, tomato, added pepper jack cheese and hot peppers, this burger was unlike any other. It came with a side of large, crispy fries. I upgraded to cheese fries, which shouldn’t even be a question for you if you go. The burger, however, was the true champion. Imagine the best burger you’ve had, and then multiply it by ten.

Coming from a household where barbecue is perfected, my standards are pretty high. The perfectly cooked chicken at Underground Burgers & Crêpes was extremely juicy and tasty. It left my mouth watering even after I was full. On top of the chicken was the perfect amount of melted cheese, lettuce and fresh tomatoes. The secret ingredient, however, was hidden below the chicken. Here, delicious, sautéed hot peppers soaked into the toasted bun. Not too spicy, these peppers added the extra kick to make this grilled chicken sandwich more than your average burger.

burger

Photo by Bari Blanga

Grilled Chicken Salad

Slices of grilled chicken, as well as chopped tomatoes and onions, sat on top of a bed of freshly-rinsed lettuce. Differing from the usual salads offered at other restaurants, this delicious meal came with Tzatziki sauce as the dressing, which only added to the deliciousness.

burger

Photo by Bari Blanga

This restaurant is a must try! On a rotational basis each week, employees are able to create their own burgers and crêpes. There is both a burger and crêpe of the week for those who dare to stray away from the menu. I can’t wait to get back and try one of those crêpes that everyone raves about.

Like this article? Check out these related posts:

cheap

Location: 404 East Calder Way, State College, PA 16801
Hours of Operation: Open every day from 11 am to 11 pm