Hokies know Virginia Tech has bragging rights for some of the best campus food in the country, but Blacksburg cuisine doesn’t boast quite as diverse a selection, especially in the Asian domain.

Satisfy your cravings for more exotic spices or a change from Virginia Tech classics, like the London Broil. We’re here to make it easy for you to find Asian flavors close to campus, from snacks and sweets to meals that’ll fill you up.

1. O-Pass Tea and Crepe at the University Mall (opposite side of the building as the Math Emporium)

Asian

Photo by Kevin Dang

Bubble tea addicts, or those who are now thinking that sounds like a hot liquified soap beverage (it’s not), will love the smell of sugar as you walk into this cafe and creperie. It’s cute, casual and features an extensive list of flavors of tea and crepes.

Price range: $10 and under

Tips for ordering: Pay with cash for a stamp on your card. Seven of them gets you a free drink of any size. Loyal customers will have stacks of cards in their wallet (no shame).

Customer favorites include flavors such as mango, Japanese matcha (green tea), taro, honeydew and coffee. Add bubbles or jelly to your milk tea or dodo and make it a slushie (or hot – great for sore throats) for an extra $0.50. They’re also known to have a bomb pizza crepe.

2. Kobe Japanese Express across from University Mall (near Subway)

Asian

Photo by Kevin Dang

Trust us, this is where all your money will go. Kobe delivers the taste of Japanese hibachi without the show for a quick lunch or dinner. Pick your main meat (or non-meat like tofu), such as shrimp, steak, eel, calamari, chicken and more, to top fried rice with a side of sweet carrots.

They also offer soups, salads and sides. The interior isn’t the coziest, but everyone knows you only go here for food.

Price range: $20 and under

Tips for ordering: They do to-go and delivery, but the famous yum-yum sauce will cost you $1. Not a fan of the sweet carrots? Switch it out for rice for an extra cost. Popular picks are Hokie chicken and teriyaki chicken.

Indulge yourself and drench it in complimentary yum-yum sauce and chili sauce. Avoid the period between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. on weekdays – they’re closed.

3. Marco & Luca across from Panera Bread near University Mall

Asian

Photo by Kevin Dang

Whether you’re looking for a full-blown meal or a quick snack, Marco & Luca’s got you covered with mini fried dumplings in a sweet, savory and subtly spicy sauce (the BEST). Two dumplings could fit in your palm and they’re stuffed with meat.

If that’s not enough, try out their variety of Asian noodles and pork bun sides.

Price range: $5 and under

Tips for ordering: Give in to your hunger: go ahead and get yourself two orders of dumplings. It’s cheap and a good portion size. If you’re lucky, you might even get one or two extra.

Challenge: try to leave with a to-go container without spilling it. We dare you.

4. Sushi Factory inside University Mall, Green’s, & Kroger

Asian

Photo by Kevin Dang

Get your quick fix to comfort yourself after a rough few hours at the empo with a sushi tray from Sushi Factory. They’ve got plenty of options, from standard California rolls to rainbow rolls (the best).

Green’s is great for date night with a cozy indoor atmosphere with some Asian inspiration and a relaxing patio downtown. Their menu also offers burgers.

Kroger sushi is pretty good, especially when you’ve got late night cravings. It’s made fresh daily by a sushi chef.

Price range: $10 and under

Tips for ordering: Go to Green’s on Monday for an extra roll added at no extra cost. If you’re lucky, you might catch the owner of the sushi (at either Kroger) late at night and she might hook you up a deal – no promises, but it’s been rumored.

5. Himalayan Curry Cafe near University Mall

Asian

Photo by Kevin Dang

I’m not a big fan of curry, but I know some who are. They’ve got plentiful portion sizes at decent prices, and they’re welcoming, too. Pick your plate of chicken, beef, pork or vegetable curry with a generous helping of rice.

Price range: $7 and under

Tips for ordering: Pork seems to be the crowd favorite.

6. Cafe Mekong on South Main St. (near Cookout and Gucci Kroger)

Asian

Photo by Kevin Dang

Check this place out for most any Asian food craving, from Chinese to Korean to Thai and Vietnamese. It’s a sit-down restaurant with filling portion sizes, offering Pad Thai, drunken noodles, pho, curry, fried rice, Korean BBQ and more. The dishes are great for sharing with a friend if you order two.

Price range: $10 and under

Tips for ordering: If you didn’t know (or if it’s your lifesaver), their pho is worth the trip as a cure for “rough” Sunday mornings (if you know what I mean). Trust us – everyone around you will be munching their bean sprouts and slurping noodles, too.

Head over to Oasis World Market right next door and grab some ice cream from the freezer in the front, or do a little grocery shopping while your belly’s full.

Obviously, these aren’t the only Asian places around, but these are satisfying and worth the time and effort to get there. As Blacksburg grows, future graduating classes might even see a few more additions. Happy eating, Hokies.