As a first year at UVa with no car, I’m all about escaping the bubble that is Grounds and the Corner. Any chance I have, I try to explore new venues off the beaten track, especially for my favorite meal of the day: brunch.

While I can appreciate a made-to-order omelet at O’Hill to jump start my Saturday and Sunday mornings, a trip to a local restaurant or diner is simply needed.

This past Saturday, my friends and I took a quick trolley ride to the Blue Moon Diner expecting a safe diner brunch, but we were pleasantly blown away.

This quaint diner on Main Street offers all of the classic breakfast items like pancakes, French toast, breakfast sandwiches and omelets, but an array of more eccentric choices were available.

Choices like the vegan garbage plate and the Nordic omelet, including smoked salmon, are available for those adventurous.

blue moon

Photo by Cailin Diberto

Due to the small space of the diner, there was a short wait for parties of more than three. But good brunch is always worth the wait, am I right?

We were seated in a comfortable booth and served bottomless mugs of Trager Brothers coffee with cream. The coffee was dark and smooth, and I recommend taking advantage of the bottomless cup.

After scouring the menu, I went for the apple omelet. This was the most unique omelet I’ve ordered, and it included sausage, blue cheese and apple.

Each bite contained saltiness from the sausage and sweetness from the apple and cheese, and I added hot sauce for an extra kick. My plate was cleaned.

blue moon

Photo by Cailin Diberto

One friend ordered two classics: a biscuit with sausage gravy and the sausage, egg and cheese sandwich on sourdough. Both items came out simple and exactly as you would crave them.

blue moon

Photo by Cailin Diberto

Another friend ordered the breakfast burrito for a spicier and more lunch-y brunch. It looked so flavorful that I have decided to order this next time I go—which will be soon, don’t worry.

blue moon

Photo by Cailin Diberto

Blue Moon also offers Kombucha and Emergen-C, mac and cheese as a breakfast side and Grillswiths (grilled donuts) along with much more to add to the random, quirky vibe of the menu.

Next time you wake up either with a killer hangover or even if you’re feeling good, Blue Moon Diner will hit any type of spot.

Want to know more local Charlottesville favorites?