As an avid baker with an impressive sweet tooth, I am constantly on the lookout for new and unique bakeries. On my drive to work one morning, I spotted a massive banner that announced the grand opening of Sinful Sweets Gourmet Cakes & Cupcakes, located in downtown Rochester, NY. I couldn’t have been more pleased about this discovery, especially since it was a dreaded Monday morning. I knew I had to check it out.

Sinful Sweets

Photo by Maria Glander

After my first visit, I was sold. Sinful Sweets specializes in gourmet cakes and cupcakes inspired by the Seven Deadly Sins. This interesting idea stemmed from the film Se7en, one of the owner’s favorite movies. They ensure that customers get a one-of-a-kind experience and dessert. Their cakes are crafted from scratch with only the highest quality ingredients, and it is those creations with bold flavor profiles that set them apart from the endless parade of bakeries and cupcake shops.

Sinful Sweets

Photo courtesy of Sinful Sweets Gourmet Cakes & Cupcakes

Ryan Swift, a self-taught baker, is the mastermind behind Sinful Sweets and has been decorating cakes for more than eight years. He began as a cake decorator at Walmart and worked his way up to local specialty bakeries, always dreaming of opening his own shop. Driven by his passion for baking, Ryan opened Sinful Sweets, providing customers with edgy cupcakes and a great atmosphere.

Sinful Sweets

Photo by Maria Glander

What makes Sinful Sweets stand out from the crowd is their decedent flavor combinations. Sinful Sweets offers creations like Wrath, a dark chocolate cake with ancho chiles, cinnamon, and cayenne, complete with cinnamon whiskey-infused buttercream. These cupcakes will awaken and excite your taste buds and will leave you wanting more.

My personal favorites are Greed, a creamy salted caramel and white chocolate heaven, and Ruthless Razz, a light and velvety raspberry cake. Not only do these cupcakes taste incredible, but Ryan makes sure that each one is its own edible work of art. Check out their full menu here.

Sinful Sweets

Sinful Sweets also does custom cake orders. So if you’re in the market for a wedding cake or birthday cake, they are at your service. And the best part is that if you can’t make the difficult decision of cake vs. cupcake, you can have both. Sinful Sweets can construct a specialty cake and cupcake tree just for you, so you can have your cake and eat it, too.

Sinful Sweets

Photo by Maria Glander

Sinful Sweets Gourmet Cakes & Cupcakes has made a name for themselves with their whimsical desserts and unique point of view. And my favorite part: they offer a baker’s dozen rewards card where you buy 12 cupcakes and get the next one free. So why not take a walk on the wild side, embrace your darker desires, and try Sinful Sweets? As Billy Joel once said, “only the good die young.”