There is no question that Gainesville has a competitive food scene. For a relatively small town, Gainesville boasts of a diverse selection of restaurants, ranging from beloved hole-in-the-wall pizza joints (literally, here's looking at you Pizza by the Slice) to fare that will take you around the world and back at Civilization. The scene doesn't stop there, so here is a round-up of the most anticipated new restaurants in Gainesville opening this fall. 

tuna, salmon, seafood, fish, rice, sushi
Spoon University

Apoke Sushi

What: Build-Your-Own Poke bowls, Sushi Burritos, and Salads

Where: 1404 W University Ave (aka old location of Oozoo and Dough Religion... RIP)

It's about time Gainesville hopped onto the poke bowl trend! Not only is this Miami-based restaurant bringing poke bowls to the table, but they are also introducing the ultimate food hybrid: Sushi Burritos. Poke is a traditional Hawaiian dish that translates to "Fish Salad." This new restaurant will offer endless customizable options to make the bowl or roll of your dreams. Pairs well with Acai bowls and Starbucks — and bonus points if you post your bowl to Instagram.

Price: $12-$15

BTW

What: A fast-casual chain that targets millennials with a fun atmosphere and typical, beloved bar food

Where: 1404 W University Ave (aka the old location of Burrito Bros... RIP... again)

The concept falls under the highly successful Hurricane Grill & Wings brand. It features the franchise's best-selling menu items with a fast-casual service model and a fun, energetic restaurant design. Expect fun wing flavors like the buffalo garlic Parmesan "Boss" and habanero coconut "Coco Loco." Although, I am still salty that Oozoo closed down, so this place has large shoes to fill IMO.

Price: $7 for 6 wings, $6 tacos, and $5 burgers

liquor, wine, alcohol, beer
Savannah Carter

Public and General's Beer Garden

What: An awesome outdoor location to chill and drink beer on benches

Where: SW 4th Ave, west of Main Street

It's about time Gainesville gets a beer garden! The owners of Gainesville's very own Public and General - a great local tavern who made a name for themselves with BYO charcuterie plates- have revealed their plans to create a beer garden. In case you don't know, "beer garden" derives from the German word "biergarten" and is also one of Germany's best exports. To call yourself a beer garden, all you really need is a large open space with plenty of seating and plenty of beers on draft. It's always a fun time being surrounded by music, friends, and steins of beer bigger than your head.  Get ready to bust out your lederhosen and down the hefeweizen.

Price: TBD

Whole foods market sign, Whole Foods Market, shopping, groceries, Grocery Shopping
Shelby Cohron

Whole Foods

What: The trendiest, upscale organic grocery store you have ever been to.

Where: Butler Plaza, 3490 SW Archer Rd

While it's not technically a restaurant, it's big news that this baby is gracing us with its presence in the 'ville. Originally, plans were meant for a smaller scale version of Whole Foods (called 365 Whole Foods Market) to be built, which features only Whole Foods brands. Now, a full-fledged store is in the works. This is big news, and it will surely please all the millennials out there who prefer their bananas organic, thank you very much.

Price: On the expensive side

Drinks, beer, Bar, alcohol, wine, Drinking, exterior
Denise Uy

Madrinas

What: Cuban inspired cocktail bar from the owners of Crane Ramen

Where: 9 W University Ave (aka Downtown)

This bar finally got an upgrade from being an exclusive pop-up bar to a legit brick-and-mortar cocktail lounge. Featuring craft cocktails and Cuban-inspired snacks, this is the new place you want to be seen. 

Price: $7 Cocktails

Ameraucanna Pizzeria

What: A food truck turned brick-and-mortar restaurant featuring farm-to-table ingredients for their specialty sourdough crust pizzas

Where: 2410 NW 43rd St

This is the best new restaurant to go for when you want a true wood-fire cooked pizza with fresh ingredients and a unique twist on classic pizza. The difference between this pizza and others is that the dough is a sourdough base, meaning that no yeast/oil/milk was used in the cooking process, yielding a tangier and crustier plate for the delicious toppings. The menu varies by day based on the ingredients available because the owners only have the highest standards when it comes to their food. Definitely a step up from Blaze and not as cliché as Satchels has (unfortunately) become.

Price: $10-$16 for pizza